I can't keep making Farmers Market soup with its wonderful low nutrition values, we'll be absolutely sick of it. But, I do like soups for the evening easy meal.

What I'm looking for are thick hearty soups - the one above has 10 different beans/dry peas/lentils so you can tell it is substantial, but the nutritional value really low (from Choices For a Healthy Heart)

I'm going to make a minestrone in the next few days - Maryann, got a good one for me?? or anyone? So, what else is out there?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Soup Request, Please cjs I can't keep making ...
For a thick soup, I'm always partial to C@H's Zucchini Parmesan soup. Lots of carrots in it too. I use a small can of condensed milk instead of cream to keep the fat & calories down a bit.

Re: Soup Request, Please Trixxee For a thick soup, I'...
Trixxee I was going to post that one too! Here is the reviews it got. Zucchini Soup Review

I don't know about how healthy (But maybe no unhealthy ) - but we like taco soup and chicken tortilla soup. They are hearty enough for dinner. C@H baked potato soup is a good one too.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.

Re: Soup Request, Please esgunn Trixxee I was going ...
Duh, I made that two years ago and really liked it! Thanks Trixxee and Erin for mentioning it. I completely forgot the C@H soup book - another great big DUH!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Soup Request, Please cjs Duh, I made that two...
And apparently I stole the evaporated milk idea from you Jean!
  Soup Request, Please cjs I can't keep making ...
I know I posted this before - it is a wonderful soup! I think it'll be a motorhome dinner frequently - it's so easy!

Spicy Sausage & Cauliflower Soup
Ingredients
1. 1 (16-ounce) package spicy pork sausage
2. 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3. 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
4. 2 (32-ounce) boxes chicken broth
5. 2 heads cauliflower, trimmed
6. 1 cup half-and-half
7. Garnish: shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, sliced green onion

Instructions

1. In a large Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, or until sausage is browned and crumbles. Remove sausage, and reserve drippings in pan. (Drippings should equal about 1⁄4 cup.) Reduce heat to medium; add vegetable oil. Add flour, and cook, whisking to remove any lumps, until light brown. Stir in chicken broth, whisking to remove any lumps. Add cauliflower, and simmer until tender and begins to fall apart. Stir in half-and-half.
2. To serve, top each bowl with desired amount of crumbled sausage. Garnish with Cheddar cheese and green onion, if desired. Serve immediately.

Makes 6 - 8 servings
Note: For a smoother soup, purée in a food processor or with an imersion blender before adding half-and-half. To make Sausage Pinwheels reserve 1 cup of cooked sausage.

This is so good and really comforting on a cold drippy night.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Soup Request, Please Harborwitch I know I posted this...
I love tortilla soup! Must make that soon. Also Corn chowder, Clam chowder, Tomato soup, Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana, (it's basically a potato, sausage and kale) Gumbo,
Beef Barley Soup, Pumpkin Soup, Roasted Butternut Squash soup, Chicken Wild Rice soup, Carrot soup, Dried Mushroom soup, Chili, Italian Wedding soup, Lasagna soup.

Can you tell I love soup?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Soup Request, Please Mare749 I love tortilla soup...
That Thai Pumpkin Coconut soup we had at the house in Stockton! I'd love a bowl of that right now!!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Soup Request, Please Harborwitch That Thai Pumpkin Co...
Maryann mentioned most of our favorites, but I think she missed the Italian Sausage and Squash Soup. If you sub turkey sausage, this would really be a good healthy choice. Mom also used to make a tomato based soup with lots of veggies in it. It starts with boiling a country ham bone, then add tomatoes or tomato juice and whatever veggies you have on hand....usually butter beans, green beans and corn at our house. I can't wait until it gets cold enough...I've got the bone from our ham languishing in the freezer.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Soup Request, Please Gourmet_Mom Maryann mentioned mo...
Don't forget Erin's Cream of Green Bean Soup. It's wonderful!

A hearty soup that has been a standby in my family for at least 25 years is Mushroom and Barley Soup. Since my mom originally got the printed recipe from a restaurant, the ingredients were listed for either 8 or 48 servings, so I'll do the same here:

Mushroom and Barley Soup

Ingredients for 8 portions:
  • 4 Tbsp. Butter
  • 8 Oz. Fresh mushrooms, chopped
  • 1 Cup Onion, minced
  • 1 Clove Garlic, minced
  • 2 Cans (10 3/4 Oz. each) Condensed beef broth
  • 3 1/2 Cans (the broth cans) Water
  • 3 Tbsp. Tomato paste
  • 1/4 Tsp. Salt
  • 1/16 Tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 Sprigs Parsley
  • 1 Bay leaf
  • 1/2 Cup Barley
  • 1 1/2 Cups Carrots, sliced
  • 1 1/2 Cups Celery, sliced
  • 2 Tbsp. Butter
  • 8 Oz. Fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • Sour cream, as needed (optional)

Ingredients for 48 portions:
  • 2 Sticks + 5 Tbsp. Butter
  • 3 Lb. Fresh mushrooms, chopped
  • 1 1/2 Qt. Onion, minced
  • 6 Cloves Garlic, minced
  • 2 1/2 Cans (50 Oz. each) Condensed beef broth
  • 6 Qt. Water
  • 1 Cup Tomato paste
  • 1 1/2 Tsp. Salt
  • 1/2 Tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 Bunch Parsley
  • 6 Bay leaves
  • 3 Cups Barley
  • 2 Qt. Carrots, sliced
  • 2 Qt. Celery, sliced
  • 1 Stick + 3 Tbsp. Butter
  • 3 Lb. Fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • Sour cream, as needed (optional)
Instructions:
  1. In a large saucepan melt the butter.
  2. Add mushrooms, onions and garlic.
  3. Sauté until onions are translucent and mushrooms are tender.
  4. Stir beef broth, water, tomato paste, salt and pepper into pot.
  5. Tie together the parsley and the bay leaves, add to the pot and bring to a boil.
  6. Add the barley to the pot.
  7. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
  8. Remove and discard the parsley and bay leaves.
  9. Add the carrots and celery.
  10. Cook, covered, until vegetable are tender - about 15 minutes.
  11. In a large skillet, melt the remaining butter.
  12. Add the remaining mushrooms.
  13. Sauté until golden - about 5 minutes.
  14. Add to soup.
  15. Heat through.
  16. Garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
This is particularly good on cold, Winter nights, but I've even made it, down here, in the middle of the Summer.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Soup Request, Please