Good morning all (it might be too early because I'm struggling here). OK, came across this interesting looking recipe that I might be able to use this week for some leftover rib eye roast but the whole phyllo thing is throwing me (I don't think I've ever used it before). Is the recipe telling me to brush 5 sheets of dough, then stack them on each other, then cut in half? Is it difficult to lift and move these sheets to stack? They're pretty thin and fragile, right?

http://timeinthekitchen.com/2009/09/stea...ine-sauce/

•Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 5 layers of phyllo dough with melted butter between each layer and cut the stack into two lengthwise. Put a very generous portion of steak and mushroom filling (figure on dividing the mix into eight) on the end of each dough strip, allowing a fold-over to make a square.
•Continue to fold the turnover up the length of the phyllo dough so that all sides end up closed. Repeat the process until phyllo dough and filling are used. Note: Using four, or even six layers will still give you great results…..in case you lose count as I sometimes do!

Working with Phyllo Dough Trixxee Good morning all (it...
Trixxee,

Someone who is familiar will come along soon. But what I am seeing in my mind is laying the first sheet in front of you. Brush, lay second sheet on top, brush, third sheet on top, brush, and so on. Cut in half - don't need to move. Fill and Roll right there for your turnover - each side. WIll yield two turnovers I believe.

When you start you want to make sure the long side is going up in front of you so you can roll them easier with out having to move around.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
Trixxee, I'm not sure, but I get the feeling you keep flipping the turnover down the length of the dough. This would mean you would stack the dough four times to get eight turnovers.

I haven't done the phyllo thing yet either, but from what I have seen and read...yes, you do brush the dough with butter and "stack" the dough. This is what gives it that "flakey" effect.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Working with Phyllo Dough Gourmet_Mom Trixxee, I'm not sur...
Trix, this might be helpful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiLlAblluWw
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Working with Phyllo Dough farnfam Trix, this might be ...
Trixxee, since you haven't worked with Phyllo before, I suggest you play with a strip of paper. Nothing dries out faster than this dough and you just have to throw it away when it does dry out.

Cut about a 3" strip from an 8 1/2X11 sheet. And follow the pictures. They are so darn tedious, but very easy when you practice the fold.

You'll get it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Working with Phyllo Dough cjs Trixxee, since you h...
Thanks all! Informative You Tube video and great idea about practicing with a strip of paper. Genious!

Re: Working with Phyllo Dough Trixxee Thanks all! Informa...
How did you do????? and pictures????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Working with Phyllo Dough cjs How did you do????? ...
No, the dough was for tomorrow's leftovers. But now we've done a complete 180 on what we're having tonight so I'm not sure when I'll experiment with the dough but I will. I will definitely let you know how it goes.
look at my Apple Strudel pie recipe on how to layer the dough..

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...ge=2#Post105063

One way I heard is that you can spray oil on it..those aerosol can of butter oil. Then its even easier to spred melted butter.

Since this recipe for steak is savoury, I think you can use Salted butter. Mine is a sweet pastry, so I have to use Unsalted butter.

I would loved to try your recipe listed above, and would take some step by step fotos for you when I make it.

Thanks!
People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com

Re: Working with Phyllo Dough Gina_Choong look at my Apple Str...
Quote:

One way I heard is that you can spray oil on it..those aerosol can of butter oil. Then its even easier to spred melted butter.

I don't use phyllo a lot, but it does dry out quickly andas you work with one sheet, you have to keep the rest of the dough covered with a damp towel. And I do use the butter-flavored cooking spray because it is very easy. Then I brush maybe a center layer with real butter, and then the top (for the "real" flavor)
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
Working with Phyllo Dough