So, if all goes well, Steve will be home Wed. He will be very tired and dealing with lots of time changes.

I am trying to decide what to make for a family dinner on Wed. He has eaten a lot of salads, sandwiches, hamburgers, chicken, etc. I know a lot his favorite meals, but they would take too much effort on his first night home. He might want to go to bed early, I don't want to spend my time cooking, etc. He is not a casserole kind of guy.

Anyone have any thoughts on a family dinner? I am thinking taco soup, or cincinati chili, or a pot roast. But even thought I don't want to spend the time and it needs to be flexible, those all just sound so ho hum for a return dinner home.

Guess I can't have it both ways - fantastic meal/no fuss/no time cooking....Any ideas.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.

Need some ideas esgunn So, if all goes well...
Whatever it is should be something that takes as little last-minute prep time and as little after-meal clean-up time as possible. Even though it would be nice to make something super special with a spectacular presentation, I would PLAN that now, but wait until the weekend to carry it out.

For now, something yummy from the Crock Pot will give you both more time to enjoy his return and also give him a chance to relax and to adjust to the time-zone difference.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Need some ideas esgunn So, if all goes well...
Get a trimmed brisket--rub with Good Seasons dry garlic & herb or Italian dressing all over. Put in the oven at 220, cover, cook all nite. Remove the meat, take the liquid, make a gravy, make your mashed potatos--do a salad--slice the meat across the grain (it may fall apart so be careful) serve with the gravy, potatoes and the salad!! OMG

P.S.-Cook the fat side up.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".

Re: Need some ideas Old Bay Get a trimmed briske...
OMG is right! I want that! Thank you Bill.

Edited to add: Erin, according to my hubbie, (and he loves to eat!) food will be the LAST thing on his mind! All he is going to care about is snuggling up to his family and being home! So IMHO, I might be using the crockpot the first few days he's home until he settles into your time zone. That way, food is always ready, the kiddies can eat when they want to and you will be free to pick up and go do something fun as a family.

So, I would consider beef stew, chili and soups. Anything the man eats at home is going to be the best meal he has had in three months. I'm so happy for you that he will be home soon!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Need some ideas Mare749 OMG is right! I wan...
I'd second that! Sounds like a wonderful combination of easy, early preparation and great flavour!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Need some ideas labradors I'd second that! So...
I think I want to try Bill's suggestion!

Make up a pizza, or get one from Papa Murphy's to have in the house. That and a salad would be dinner. You can show him your cooking prowess the next day!

I'm really, really happy for you!
  Re: Need some ideas Mare749 OMG is right! I wan...
Quote:

OMG is right! I want that! Thank you Bill.

Edited to add: Erin, according to my hubbie, (and he loves to eat!) food will be the LAST thing on his mind! All he is going to care about is snuggling up to his family and being home! So IMHO, I might be using the crockpot the first few days he's home until he settles into your time zone. That way, food is always ready, the kiddies can eat when they want to and you will be free to pick up and go do something fun as a family.

So, I would consider beef stew, chili and soups. Anything the man eats at home is going to be the best meal he has had in three months. I'm so happy for you that he will be home soon!

Me too. I go with Mare
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".

Re: Need some ideas Old Bay [blockquote]Quote:[h...
Ditto on the crock pot idea until the weekend. Just enjoy each other, then let the kids stay at the grands and WOW him on the weekend.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Need some ideas Gourmet_Mom Ditto on the crock p...
Quote:

then let the kids stay at the grands and WOW him on the weekend.

Daphne - was that with my food or ...

I have been feeling guilty. I have wanted to send the kids away for the first day - or a day in and have him all to myself!!! I miss my hubby. I don't let myself think of it - but I really do!

Maryann - you and your wonderful hubby made me cry. Just to have my family back together again. You do what you have to, but I think this last week anticipating the homecomming has been the hardest. I just want my friend back, my love back, the father of my kids back. Tears are streaming.

Thank you for all your thoughts. I will make food the necessity and the fule for first couple of days. Then everything will work it's way out.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.

Re: Need some ideas esgunn [blockquote]Quote:[h...
So glad about the homecoming, Erin. I like Daph's suggestion, "Wow him on the weekend"....with food etc
Cis
Empress for Life
Need some ideas