Hello All,

Finally, I was able to make the Potato Crust Quiche without angst Saturday night and it was because I made notes about the recipe the last time I tried it.

First of all, it is a GREAT recipe. I made the Swiss and Ham version with the roasted red peppers (1/2 of a 7-oz jar) with a side of bacon and salad.

My notes indicate that for the 6 egg/cream/hot sauce mixture, I needed to cook it 20 minutes longer for it to bake thoroughly. Also, when you set up the hash browns crust, I made notes to make sure there is some cooking fats to crust the outside of the hash browns, and I turned the broiler on for the last three minutes (of the 10, but always look) to crisp the inside.

Again, this is an awesome recipe and a great "breakfast for dinner" suggestion.

I hope my notes help.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.

Potato Crust Quiche Notes - Issue #45 BarbaraS Hello All,[br][br]Fi...
Well, piddle, #45 isn't in the binder....Tracie!!!

Thanks for your notes, Barbara, I can't remember if I've made this or not and can't find the darn book.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Potato Crust Quiche Notes - Issue #45 cjs Well, piddle, #45 is...
Well shoot, #45 isn't in the coach or the trailer . . It sounds really good too.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Potato Crust Quiche Notes - Issue #45 Harborwitch Well shoot, #45 isn'...
Sounds wonderful. What other versions are there (although I love your choice)?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Potato Crust Quiche Notes - Issue #45 cjs Well, piddle, #45 is...
Okay, okay, here goes...

Potato Crust Quiche

3T butter, divided (wimps!)
1/2 lb bulk Italian sausage (but I would think breakfast sausage would be tasty, too)
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup jarred roasted red bell pepper, drained and chopped
2 T vegetable oil
1 pkg (1 lb, 4 oz) fresh hash brown potato shreds
1 1/2 cups fontina or Swiss cheese, shredded
6 eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 dashes hot sauce (again, wimps!)
8 slices Roma tomato
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
1/2 cup sour cream
1 T minced fresh chives

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

MELT 1 T butter in a 10" oven proof nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add sausage to brown for 3 minutes. Stir in onion and saute 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl with the bell pepper, stir to combine. Return skillet to the burner and add 1 T butter and the oil.

ARRANGE hash browns in pan, pressing and spreading them up the sides to form a crust. (attention to detail to uniformly spread the hash browns leads to a wonderful presentation) Season with salt and pepper, then dot with 1 T butter. (I melted a few T's of butter and brushed - really worked out well) Cook 10 minutes, or until edges start to brown. (this is where I broiled for about 3 minutes to get the center to crisp up a bit)

SPRINKLE fontina or Swiss cheese over potato shell. Spoon sausage mixture over cheese.

WHISK eggs, cream, hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste, pour over the sausage and cheese.

ARRANGE tomato slices on top (nice guideline for cutting) and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. (eh, I used more Swiss) Bake for 25 minutes (PLUS 20 MINUTES!), or until center is firm and the tip of a knife comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes, then run spatula around the rim to loosen the quiche. Slide it onto a serving dish and cut into wedges.

Combine sour cream and chives and dollop a little onto each slice.

QUICHE OPTION: Substitute cubed ham for the sausage, saute 1 cup mushrooms with the onion, and use Swiss cheese in the fontina. Bake as directed.

I just did the cubed ham steak with about a pound of shredded Swiss chees.

And I wonder why I'm not losing weight.

Yeah, right.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.

Re: Potato Crust Quiche Notes - Issue #45 BarbaraS Okay, okay, here goe...
Ooooh! Thanks! Definitely with you on the ham. The sausages sound okay, but this sounds made for ham. The shrooms would be nice, too.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Potato Crust Quiche Notes - Issue #45 labradors Ooooh! Thanks! Def...
Oh, what a sweetie, Barb! thanks.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Potato Crust Quiche Notes - Issue #45 cjs Oh, what a sweetie, ...
Thank you from me as well! Yummm!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Potato Crust Quiche Notes - Issue #45 Mare749 Thank you from me as...
Barbara I love you! That sounds soooooo good, and looks doable in the motor home!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Potato Crust Quiche Notes - Issue #45 Harborwitch Barbara I love you! ...
That sounds good for breakfast; except I'd have to get up way before everyone else...
Potato Crust Quiche Notes - Issue #45