Maryann and Ron are gone this week, so she asked me to post her review of the dinner -

To: "Jean Denham, C.C."
Subject: Review for Steak Goulash Stew---please post for me next Monday
Date: Wed 09/22/10 04:06 PM

This is another one of those dishes that we thought was good, just not necessarily good enough to make again. That was until we ate the leftovers for lunch today! Wow! We both decided that we would have it again! It was easy to make and I'm sure would go a lot faster now that I've made it once.

I decided to use a nice piece of sirloin (just about a pound) for this dish and cut it into thick diagonal strips, paying special attention to the 1 minute cooking time per side as called for in the recipe. If you follow the timing guidelines the meat stays really nice and moist, and with the addition of bacon, doesn't need extra salt. We were both rather indifferent about the Sour Cream and Horseradish Noodles. It was okay, just not great. Probably would have been a lot better if my horseradish was hotter.

When warmed up the leftovers today, I just put all of it together in a skillet, added a little water, and simmered it until heated through. We were both surprised at how tasty it was this way! Last night we gave this dish a 7, but today, it got an 8+. May try this with pork tenderloin next time.

-----
And, our review of the dinner -

Steak Goulash Stew served with Sour Cream & Horseradish Noodles

First night, the flavors of the stew were not really appealing to me, but I was surprised how I did enjoy the noodles, being that I’m not the biggest fan of dill or horseradish.

Prepping early in the day made putting this dinner together a breeze. The minute I sat down, I was sorry I hadn’t done some peas; a veggie we love with dishes like this, plus the color on the plate was needed. 1-5 (5 being highest), I gave the dinner a 3 and Roy gave it a strong 4.
[Image: CIMG0943.jpg]

Then morning came and I had some grilled red & sweet potato chunks leftover, so I had a portion of the stew over that and Roy had the l/o noodles with his stew. After the flavors had mellowed overnight we both gave this one a 5 and I will definitely make it again, but the day before I want to serve it. But, I don’t think it needs so much meat – I’ll probably cut the amount in half.

We had our bloody maria’s with Sunday Brunch and the l/o stew. We both loved the drink, but it was very similar (except for the Balsamic) to the bloody marys we have been making since the 80s, so we weren’t surprised we liked them.
[Image: CIMG0946.jpg]
Great choice for a dinner, Maryann – it was fun!!We don’t have any regulars with b’days in October, do we? Does someone want to choose another menu for us?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Maryann's Dinner Review Menu - 9/27 cjs Maryann and Ron are ...
After talking with Maryann, I decided to wait on this one. (I know, I cheated...LOL!! But it's good to know ahead of time that this dish is better, like most stews and soups, the next day.) I couldn't do it ahead last night for tonight's dinner because of progress reports. If I get in gear, I'll make it up tonight for tomorrow, otherwise, I should be able to review by Wednesday, at least.

Thanks for the review, ladies. I'll add mine later.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Maryann's Dinner Review Menu - 9/27 Gourmet_Mom After talking with M...
Ack! Email addresses! Email addresses! Jean, please edit your message to eliminate the email addresses.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Maryann's Dinner Review Menu - 9/27 Gourmet_Mom After talking with M...
If no one else is interested, I've been wanting to make the Prosciutto-Wrapped Tilapia with Fresh Sage and the Broccolini Risotto. I've actually got all of the ingredients except for the fish (Had that, too, but it wasn't my turn to think one night. I used ALL the fish for one dinner instead of two...DUH!) This is from the Fresh and Fabulous book, pages 56-57.

I was also looking at the rolled steaks from August, 2010 pages 25-27 and the Game Day menu from October, 2010 pages 19-21, if some of you like one of those better.
Daphne

Re: Maryann's Dinner Review Menu - 9/27 Gourmet_Mom If no one else is in...
Thanks Labs - I meant to do that when I typed it in but I was hurrying to get on the road.....

Daphne - you just pick what you want to make, we don't do well with lots of choices.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Maryann's Dinner Review Menu - 9/27 cjs Thanks Labs - I mean...
Then I'm going with the fish. I probably won't get it typed in until tomorrow evening. Will that be okay? Or would we need to push the date to three weeks from today, instead of the traditional two. Also, that would give Maryann a full two weeks after her trip if she wants to join us.
Daphne

Re: Maryann's Dinner Review Menu - 9/27 Gourmet_Mom Then I'm going with ...
I finally made this! I don't know what was up with this, but I couldn't seem to get all the ingredients together for this one. I made this recipe as written, but I followed Maryann's advice to make it ahead. Although, I didn't make the noodles ahead. This was good, but would I make it again? I don't know. It was easy enough to make this while making another dinner the night before I served it. So maybe. I'd give it an 8.

[Image: DSC04911.jpg]
Daphne
Maryann's Dinner Review Menu - 9/27