I know I have brined a turkey before, I just think I did it before deep frying it. Can anyone tell me their method for brining and roasting their turkey? And do you still stuff it?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Brining a Turkey - Need advice luvnit I know I have brined...
Laura, that's one of those things where there are many opinions. I did a search and only found one that talked about brining and had a molasses glaze if you're interested.

Ina Garten and Anne Burrell had two great methods on this weekend, also. Anne brined hers and roasted it over veggies, and Ina used truffle butter under the skin.

I don't stuff mine, and I don't think I've roasted it the same way twice. This year Mom's doing the turkey, so I don't have to worry about it.

Oh, and the recipes from the Throwdown show are now posted on the FN site.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Brining a Turkey - Need advice Gourmet_Mom Laura, that's one of...
These are the things I am wondering:

1. Does brining it give it a 'hammy' flavor?
2. Is it salty?
3. Can you make good gravy out of the drippings?
4. Can you put stuffing in it, or does the stuffing turn out salty?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Re: Brining a Turkey - Need advice luvnit These are the things...
Quote:

2. Is it salty?

Brining does impact the drippings. Somewhere, CI, I think, had an article on how to avoid that. I
ll go look it up.

PJ
PJ

Re: Brining a Turkey - Need advice pjcooks [blockquote]Quote:[h...
I used to brine my turkies and I used to stuff them, but not anymore - don't know why I don't brine, but I just got tired of the texture of the dressing/stuffing from the bird. Much prefer a little better consistency to it.

My everyday brine is, for every quart of water: 1/4 cup kosher salt + 2 T. brown sugar + 2 T. granulated sugar.

A lot of brining methods recommend heating the mixture to dissolve the salt/sugars, but I've never had a problem adding them to tap water and whisking - everything dissolves and you've saved yourself a lot of time heating and cooling before using.

No, I've never noticed a 'hammy' flavor - that would be a result of a rub and/or seasonings, not brining.

2. Is it salty?
it can be if not rinsed very well.

After a good rinsing, yes you can make gravy, but I would suggest tasting your gravy as you cook it (well, everyone should be doing this anyway for flavor correctness!) and salt accordingly.

Again, after a good rinse, you will be fine - if in doubt, under season your stuffing a little.

Here are a few of the discussions we've had re brining -

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...=true#Post88733

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...=true#Post42910

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...=true#Post33532

Good luck!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Brining a Turkey - Need advice cjs I used to brine my t...
Just remember only to brine a fresh bird from a source that hasn't done anything else with it. If you have a bird from Butterball, or the like, it's already had a brine injected into it and further brining WOULD make it salty.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Brining a Turkey - Need advice labradors Just remember only t...
OMG - forgot to mention that, Labs!!! Thank you - yes, look to see if its been injected!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Brining a Turkey - Need advice cjs OMG - forgot to ment...
Yes, good call. I'm not suggesting brining to Mom, since I know she got a Butterball.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Brining a Turkey - Need advice Gourmet_Mom Yes, good call. I'm...
I hadn't thought about that either - I was thinking about a cider brine. Hmmmmm. Maybe leave out the salt and just marinate in cider and seasonings.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Brining a Turkey - Need advice Gourmet_Mom Laura, that's one of...
Watch the molasses glaze - it might burn in the oven.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
Brining a Turkey - Need advice