Must say this was a first for us - well, since the days of a metal pan with a top that expanded forever.

Our later dinner snack last night was a bag of Orville's Kettle Corn Popcorn and it was very tasty!! Surprised us. Just enough salty/sweet combination - who knew?

Sure nicer than having to wash a large kettle in the small sink. Does anyone else use microwave popcorn?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Microwave Popcorn? cjs Must say this was a ...
Yes, we use it a lot. It surprises me too. But, if you have any old packs laying around, toss them out. We made the mistake of using one of those and it didn't expand properly. Also, they need to be watched. We had one start a fire recently.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Microwave Popcorn? Mare749 Yes, we use it a lot...
Don't forget that you don't have to buy "microwave popcorn" packages to make popcorn in the microwave. You only need two things: corn for popping and a white, NOT recycled paper bag.

The reason for the white paper bag is that brown and recycled bags may contain little flecks of metal that you wouldn't want to use in a microwave.

Otherwise, just put a small amount of popping corn into the bag, fold the very end of the bag over twice and crease it (maybe giving it a little rip to make it "catch" better), then microwave until the time between pops gets to be more than three seconds.

The result is beautifully popped corn that is dry and completely free of any salt or oils, so you may add your own melted butter, etc., if you wish.

This works VERY well, and I've never had the bag open up to let out flying popcorn into the microwave, never had any burnt popcorn, and I can make whatever quantity I wish without having to buy special, single-serving packets, etc.

The only difficulty, sometimes, is getting the white paper bags, so I just used to save them when I would go out from work and buy lunch. Obviously, don't use any bags that have absorbed any grease from your lunch, however.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Microwave Popcorn? labradors Don't forget that yo...
Jean, I can't remember the last time I popped popcorn on the stove. Any time I buy popcorn, it's the microwave type.

Labs, that is really cool! I never knew you could do that!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Microwave Popcorn? Gourmet_Mom Jean, I can't rememb...
It is always in our pantry. Haven't tried the Kettle popcorn yet. May have to give it a try.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.

Re: Microwave Popcorn? esgunn It is always in our ...
Well, why didn't anyone tell me? We'll probably do this at home, also. I can get white bags at the bakery - good idea, Labs.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Microwave Popcorn? cjs Well, why didn't any...
You can buy microwave poppers at discount stores also. We use to have one, but found it easier just to buy the ready-to-use bags.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Microwave Popcorn? Mare749 You can buy microwav...
I don't eat much popcorn, but usually have the microwave bags on hand for hubby, the popcorn addict. I love kettle corn, but the last time I checked the labels, all of the microwave type kettle corns were made with an artificial sweetener. And for some reason I cannot tolerate the after taste of artificial sweeteners.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!

Re: Microwave Popcorn? chef_Tab I don't eat much pop...
You know, Theresa, I didn't say anything, but the one time I got some, I didn't care for it at all. Maybe that was it! Although, I've never had REAL kettle corn, so I thought I just didn't care for that type of popcorn.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Microwave Popcorn? Gourmet_Mom You know, Theresa, I...
I have no idea why I am so sensitive to artificial sweetners, but I can always tell they are there. We bought the microwave kettle corn years ago, and after eating a few pieces, I immediately said, "this tastes like fake sugar" and then checked the label. Sure enough, that is what they used.
Hopefully, I will see you soon, Daphne!!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
Microwave Popcorn?