We were finishing up our Secret Santa shopping and stopped at a winery/produce market looking for the perfect gift. After we picked out the presents we decided to taste! The first wine tasting since we've been back in CA!
The winery was Michael David. (It used to be Phillips, but another winery had that name. It is still Phillips Farms though).

As usual Bob started on the reds, me on the whites - but there was such ooooohing and ahhhhhhing that I switched. Their 2008 6th Sense Syrah was absolutely amazing - of course Syrah is one of my faves. Then we tried the 2008 Petite Petit ( a Petite Sirah/Petit Verdot blend) - oh what a fun wonderful wine.

We moved on to a 2008 EarthQuake Zin. These vi
nes were planted in 1906 - the same year as the SF quake! I could happily drink that wine forever.

I had to try the 2006 Pin Tower Dessert Wine (a Zinfandel Port) that blew my socks off. The first thing out of my mouth was "cheese plate" the winery gal was flabergasted! She said I was the first to say cheese, everyone else says chocolate!

As a last taste we tried a 2008 Inkblot Tannat. It was a new varietal for us - and exceptional. The nose floral - almost roses, but it was a wonderful dry red. Tannat is a Rhone varietal usually used in blends, but grown more extensively in South America. They only made 300 cases so you can only get it in the tasting room or through their wine club. We joined the wine club!

Jean, if you and Roy come back this way we'll have to take you for a tasting! I think we were there with you before, we had the 7 Deadly Zins. They have expanded their offerings, and it was amazing!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Wine Tasting for the holidays!!! Harborwitch We were finishing up...
gotta slowly read this in the a.m. - WE'RE IN SAN ANTONIO! Love this city!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Wine Tasting for the holidays!!! cjs gotta slowly read th...
Another place to put on the "gotta visit" list!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Wine Tasting for the holidays!!!