Okay, I did a search, but the several threads I looked at didn't address this question. If it has been answered, I didn't find it. SO, I'm doing Prime Rib for Christmas Dinner. I promised YS we'd do a repeat of the same dinner when we get to the mountains. Do I get two small roasts or one big one and cut it in half? And while I'm at it, how do you estimate how many pounds you need? There will be 5 at one dinner and 4-6 at the other.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Prime Rib Question Gourmet_Mom Okay, I did a search...
Daphne, you can get 2 servings out of each rib. I'm serving 20 (+) on Christmas and I just picked up my rib-almost 17#, 7 ribs. With other foods and some that will eat little or no beef, I'm covered and I have leftovers. I'd get 2 3-rib roasts, if you will be cooking dinner at 2 different places. Have the butcher cut off the bones and tie them back on, it makes it so easy to carve. Did you get a small end? You get more meat for your money that way, although it is a dollar more per pound here.

If you don't mind my asking, how much is rib going for down there these days? I paid 7.49. A large end was 6.49. Found out as I was leaving work on Fri, I could have ordered it through our purveyor for 5.49. Live and learn!

Now that you know waaaay too much about rib, I hope it comes out wonderful!

PJ
PJ

Re: Prime Rib Question pjcooks Daphne, you can get ...
Oh, this is a whole Rib eye Roast...boneless. You're going to hate me, but I got it for $4.79/lb. The 8 1/2 pounder cost a little over 42 bucks. I guess I'll cut off about 4 pounds to take to the mountains and use the big half for Saturday. I hope Andrew is willing to wait until Monday for the dinner. Although, I do love my steak!
Daphne

Re: Prime Rib Question Gourmet_Mom Oh, this is a whole ...
Yes, I do hate you That's a great price. I called around before I ordered and got the best price. Except for the work thing.

What a bargain. I would have loved saving 30 or 40 bucks this time of year.

PJ
PJ

Re: Prime Rib Question pjcooks Yes, I do hate you[i...
Okay, if nobody answers the question about how many pounds of BONELESS rib roast I need tonight, I'm taking this 8 1/2 pounder back tomorrow to exchange for about 10-12. I need to feed a total of 11 1/2 people.

Saturday's menu:
Traditional Breakfast:
scrambled eggs, hash browns, sausage, bacon, and biscuits

Late lunch for 5:
Insalata Blu, roasted asparagus, twice baked potatoes, prime rib with horseradish sauce, and garlic bread, with a choice of dessert: tiramisu (hopefully), and cheesecake.

Moday's menu for 6 1/2: (Since Andrew won't be here Christmas Eve or Day, he gets both in one night.)
crab dip, meat and cheese tray, and MAYBE the Ranch Veggie platter with cocktails followed by the lunch menu above, but sub Caesar salad for the other.
Daphne
Always a tricky question!
I have found that each rib will feed two people, so if your having 6 for dinner, you will need a 3 rib roast, which usually runs about 7 to 81/2 lbs. Oh, and personally, I would opt for two roasts.
Daphne,

I posted a wonderful way to do a Prime Rib Roast from Shirley O'Corriher's from her book, "Cookwise", that works with roasts costing $5/lb to $30/lb - there was absolutely no difference in taste. It was the technique.

Unfortunately, the "Search" feature doesn't go back more than two years and I'll have to post the technique again.

Serioulsy, you don't have to buy that super expensive cut of beef to have it as tender with a fork. I actually buy mine from Acme (*gasp*) and it turns out perfect and tasty every time.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.

Re: Prime Rib Question BarbaraS Daphne,[br][br]I pos...
Barbara, I got it, I think. You sear it on all sides, then put it in a 200 degree oven until internal temp reaches 130 degrees? My only problem is that I don't think my skillet will be big enough. So I'll probably go high heat to start, then back it down for the low and slow. I've copied several threads today so I can make my decision and print it out for Saturday morning.

BTW, Barbara, Labs has helped us all with the time range thing. All you have to do is clear out all the boxes and the system will search all the way back...up to 200, of course.
Daphne

Re: Prime Rib Question Gourmet_Mom Barbara, I got it, I...
Oh dear, I REALLY need number of servings for this thing now...half pound per person? I think I've just added 2 1/2 for dinner in the mountains.

In a previous thread where Jean posted how she did it when working professionally, she posted: "1 prime rib = 15-18 whole slices. Best served cut in half." The cut in half part I'm guessing you cut the slices, then cut each one in half crosswise to plate. That would mean 30 servings? Of course the guys will want theirs whole.
Daphne
  Re: Prime Rib Question BarbaraS Daphne,[br][br]I pos...
Quote:

Unfortunately, the "Search" feature doesn't go back more than two years and I'll have to post the technique again.

That limitation only applies if you actually specify a time frame. If you clear it out so that the number is blank AND the part that says "months," "weeks," etc. is also clear, the search will go back beyond two years, as long as the number of search results doesn't exceed 200. Thus, if you specify your search parameters narrowly enough, you shouldn't have too much of a problem. I searched for "roast" (not "prime rib," since some people say "standing rib roast," or the like") and with "BarbaraS" as the username and only got 62 results, one of which was THIS ONE, which sounds like what you may have sought.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Prime Rib Question