One of the best soups I've tried in a long time!! Jane sent us off with some (we were just too full when he had planned on us trying it ) and it was wonderful.

He has promised to post it soon!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Old Bay's Tortilla Soup cjs One of the best soup...
I don't think I made that one yet. I keep forgetting about it. So I'll definitely have to put it on the menu, now that I'll have a REALLY good recipe.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Old Bay's Tortilla Soup Gourmet_Mom I don't think I made...
This is Dean Fearings recipe (with a few adjustments).

3T corn oil
4 corn tortillas cut into quarters
6 garlic cloves finely chopped
1T chopped fresh epizote, or 1T chopped fresh cilantro
1C fresh onion puree
2C fresh tomato puree (or good canned like Jersey)
1T cumin powder
2t chili powder (guajillo and/or ancho)
2 bay leaves
4T canned tomato paste
2 quarts chicken stock
salt to taste
cayenne pepper to taste
1 cooked chicken breast, cut into strips
1 avocado, peeled, seeded & cubed
1C shredded cheddar cheese
3 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips and fried crisp.

Heat oil in a large saucepan over med heat. Saute tortillas with garlic and epizote over med heat until tortillas are soft. Add onion and fresh tomato puree and bring to a boil. Add cumin, chili powder, bay leaves, tomato paste and chicken stock. Bring to a boil again, then reduce heat to simmer. Add salt and cayenne pepper to taste and cook, stirring frquently for 30 min. Skim fat if necessery.

Strain and pour into warm soup bowls. Can be made ahead and re-heated. Garnish with chicken, avocado, cheese, and tortilla strips.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".

Re: Old Bay's Tortilla Soup Old Bay This is Dean Fearing...
Gotta try this one!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Old Bay's Tortilla Soup Old Bay This is Dean Fearing...
I have a question that may seem obvious, but I'm assuming the tortillas are not whole, but how small should they be torn/cut?
Daphne

Re: Old Bay's Tortilla Soup Gourmet_Mom I have a question th...
Quote:

I have a question that may seem obvious, but I'm assuming the tortillas are not whole, but how small should they be torn/cut?

I just modified my post--cut into quarters--you strain it all out anyway. Thanks for asking!!

Re: Old Bay's Tortilla Soup Old Bay [blockquote]Quote:[h...
That's what I figured, but just wanted to make sure. For some reason, I thought this type soup was pureed, so that the size of the pieces would have mattered. I totally missed the strain part....DUH! This is on the menu...all I need is the cilantro.

Also, I only have regular chili powder and have never seen any other around here. Would that totally change the flavor of the soup? Would I need to add something to it to up the flavor?
Daphne

Re: Old Bay's Tortilla Soup Gourmet_Mom That's what I figure...
Regular will work--that kind of powder usually has other flavorings in it, but it is usually basically chili powder.

Re: Old Bay's Tortilla Soup Old Bay Regular will work--t...
I agree with Bill, that regular chili powder will work, but Daphne, sometime just look at the ingredients in different chili powders containers and I'll bet you will run across one (some) that just list chilis. That's the one to buy! It's such a pure flavor.

Bill, we loved the soup and I have an old soup recipe that I have been wanting to update and the base for this is exactly what I've been thinking of.

But, we'll also use this one as is! Thanks for posting.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Old Bay's Tortilla Soup cjs I agree with Bill, t...
Thanks for the tip, Jean. I do have two kinds. One regular and one is dubbed Mexican Spicy Chili Powder. I looked at the ingredients of both, and I'm pretty sure the Mexican labeled one had mostly if not all chili. That will be the one I use. Also, I think I remember now seeing Ancho on the label of some a week or so ago in town on the Latin foods isle. I almost picked it up. I think we'll need to stop to pick up a few things after church in town Sunday.
Daphne
Old Bay's Tortilla Soup