I've been messing around this morning with standard flour tortillas and metal bowl. I nuked the tortillas for a minute, sprayed, salted and baked in a metal soup bowl type dish. I baked them for a few minutes (used the convection setting so it was fast and insured crispness). When they looked browned I turned them bottoms up in the dish and baked a few more minutes to brown that side. All in all they look ok, we'll see tonite at dinner.
Anyway, my question before ordering the actual bakers from Amazon, is: For standard size flour and especially for the smaller corn tortillas...Would I be better off to order the minis @ 7"?
Cis
Empress for Life

Experiment results and Question on Tortilla Bowls farnfam I've been messing ar...
Cis, I haven't tried them yet. I'll be experimenting today. I'm going to try the small corn tortillas and the larger flour tortillas. Maryann said she used the small tortillas and felt they were a little small for a taco salad.

In my opinion, I think I'd rather have the larger mold and use the smaller tortillas to make a smaller "bowl". If you have the smaller molds, you can't make a larger "bowl". That's my two cents.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Experiment results and Question on Tortilla Bowls Gourmet_Mom Cis, I haven't tried...
Cis & Daphne, you can really fit any size tortilla in the, I guess, larger ones, so I would suggest that size.

Cis, I used to (before I had the tortillas bowl thingee) spray the tortilla and curve over an upside down metal bowl.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Experiment results and Question on Tortilla Bowls cjs Cis & Daphne, you ca...
I saw a YouTube video the other day of a gal doing that very thing. The large flour tortilla shells worked BEAUTIFULLY! They even bubbled up a little in places!
Daphne

Re: Experiment results and Question on Tortilla Bowls Gourmet_Mom I saw a YouTube vide...
Sorry to be coming in late again on this one. We were busy with a plumbing problem tonight. Anyway, I wanted to report that I bought the larger size tortillas today,(10")
sprayed them with olive oil, then sprinkled them with Gil's Southwest Seasoning, and baked them for 8 minutes. They came out just gorgeous! The larger tortilla filled the pan to the top, making a much nicer bowl, and the seasoning made it very tasty. There is a lot of room for experimenting with these bowls, types of seasonings, and types of salads to go in them. They are so easy to use and I recommend them highly to anyone who is interested.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Experiment results and Question on Tortilla Bowls Mare749 Sorry to be coming i...
Oh, Maryann, I'm so glad you are enjoying them!

I thought you were crazy to suggest serving chili in the bowls, but now that I've used them, I know you're right! There ARE a lot of options for these things! How cool to use them for serving dips! The ideas are just popping! Speaking of which...POPCORN!
Daphne

Re: Experiment results and Question on Tortilla Bowls Gourmet_Mom Oh, Maryann, I'm so ...
Thanx, ladies for the input. I served the experimental ones I made with taco salad fixings last nite and we really enjoyed them. I had made six, and tho' Jame had 3 I was really full after one, so I'm thinking the set of two molds will be perfect after all, and I'll go ahead and get the bigger ones.
Btw, chili sounds like an awesome idea!!
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Experiment results and Question on Tortilla Bowls farnfam Thanx, ladies for th...
Chili???? Oh yes, have not tried this, but wow.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Experiment results and Question on Tortilla Bowls cjs Chili???? Oh yes, ha...
You know, I was a little anxious about only having 2 in the set, but you make them ahead anyway, so it works out fine.
Daphne

Re: Experiment results and Question on Tortilla Bowls Gourmet_Mom You know, I was a li...
I remember thinking that also, when I first got them, but works great.
www.achefsjourney.com
Experiment results and Question on Tortilla Bowls