July 2005, Rouxfy posted her recipe for Ciabatta (over there ). Not being someone to rush into things, I just made it today. But, one thing I added, the dough needs to be kneaded for 15 minutes and that gets boring, so I put in my c.d. of Great Women of Jazz and by the time I’d heard:

Ella Fitzgerald’s ‘But Not for Me’
Billie Holiday’s ‘Stormy Weather’
Nancy Wilson’s ‘Here’s That Rainy Day’
Etta James’ ‘ You’ve Changed’
And
Dinah Shore’s ‘Deep Purple’

I was done and ready to go on for the rest of the c.d. (at least until Julie London’s ‘Cry Me a River’

ROUXFY'S CIABATTA - ORIGINAL POSTING

“by Rouxfy on Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:19 pm
Ciabatta is an irregular-shaped Italian bread, so called because the loaf resembles an old shoe.....
I've reduced the size of the recipe to 3 loaves, and my original one called for a biga starter that needs at least an extra day - I modified this.....I don't usually have time or place for storing starters. Something here makes them get funky really fast.......Plus, I've yet to find a bread recipe that gets the amount of water correct. Start with the minimum amount listed and add more if necessary.

About 3/4oz yeast
2 1/2 cups warm water
4 T warm milk
8 cups unbleached flour
2 t salt
3 T evoo
Corn meal for dusting baking sheets

Proof the yeast in the water until bubbly. Sift together the flour and salt. Add the milk to the yeast mixture, stir in the flour and oil and beat with a wooden spoon until blended. Add a little more flour to make a workable dough and knead for 15 minutes. Place the dough in a large bowl and coat with additional olive oil.

Cover and allow to rise until doubled. Punch the dough down and divide into three loaves.

Shape each into a rough oblong, about 1 inch thick. Dust with flour and allow to rise for about 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 425deg. Dust the baking sheets with corn meal.

Carefully place each loaf onto the baking sheet and bake for about 25 minutes, until golden brown and hollow-sounding when tapped.

I pull them when the internal temp is 160deg or above. Enjoy!
Now, where's my footrub? “

Description:
"This is a great recipe - all the measurements work perfectly!!"

This bread is so good – I got a ~22 oz. Ciabatta, 3 small bread rounds, and 4 ciabatta rolls.

[Image: CiabattaToBake.jpg]
[Image: CiabattaLoafandSmRounds.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Rouxfy's Ciabatta - July 2005!! cjs July 2005, Rouxfy po...
Looks awfully good. Could the KA knead it???
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Rouxfy's Ciabatta - July 2005!! Harborwitch Looks awfully good. ...
You might need a Robo....probably not.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Rouxfy's Ciabatta - July 2005!! cjs You might need a Rob...
Shoot. Now to seek out "plan b". Hmmmm. Oh h#ll, I have to figure out how to bake it first.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Rouxfy's Ciabatta - July 2005!! Harborwitch Shoot. Now to seek ...
If you can't knead for 15 min., have Bob do it - it's a good workout!! But, yeah - no getting around no oven.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Rouxfy's Ciabatta - July 2005!! Harborwitch Looks awfully good. ...
Jean, I had her recipe that had the Biga, but I could never get it to work. I'll have to try this one next weekend! Very pretty!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Rouxfy's Ciabatta - July 2005!!