What's on everyone's menu for tonight?

Believe it or not, I may order pizza delivery - I'm going to be tired tonight, I'm thinking.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

T.G.I.F. 4/8, What's for Dinner?? cjs What's on everyone's...
Jean, are you almost ready for tomorrow? I think you're allowed take out, with all that prep you've got to do.

I'll probably be alone tonight....William and Jody will probably stay out at the farm. William's planned a big party for the guys out there Saturday. I'm thinking Jody's bringing fish. Anyway, I may go pick up a steak and fix a salad to go with it....that or a big chef salad.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  T.G.I.F. 4/8, What's for Dinner?? cjs What's on everyone's...
I think I am going to do that Bistro Salad with the egg on it. I have everything for it and it is quite healthy and pretty too.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Re: T.G.I.F. 4/8, What's for Dinner?? luvnit I think I am going t...
I think I'm making stroganoff, rice, and green beans tonight. Leftovers for lunch.

I have some pizza dough leftover, I'll have a few extra mushrooms, and there's some truffle cheese in the fridge. Maybe an appie. Oh - better idea, breakfast with an egg on it!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: T.G.I.F. 4/8, What's for Dinner?? Harborwitch I think I'm making s...
The kids want us to join them at a local bar/restaurant for a fish fry. Not exactly figure friendly, but we never pass up a chance to go anywhere with the kiddies.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: T.G.I.F. 4/8, What's for Dinner?? Mare749 The kids want us to ...
Well, plans changed. I got to thinking about some chicken in the fridge that needed to be used up. I came up with two recipes...Jean's Chicken Lo Mein and a Baked Chicken Chimichanga recipe from Taste of Home. The more I thought about the Lo Mein recipe, the more I hungered for it. I got ingredients for both, but wound up making a half recipe of the Lo Mein for me and Cricket...It was yummy! I'll make the Chimichangs tomorrow for lunch maybe. I saved some of the chicken to make a small batch of them. But I have a LOT planned for tomorrow.

FWIW....William is NOT frying fish at the camp tomorrow. His big cooking event will probably be something simple like chicken bog. Tomorrow Turkey hunting season opens! He's finally decided his population is large enough to hunt.
Daphne

Re: T.G.I.F. 4/8, What's for Dinner?? Gourmet_Mom Well, plans changed....
Did I miss a definition of "chicken bog"?????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: T.G.I.F. 4/8, What's for Dinner?? Harborwitch Did I miss a definit...
Sharon, this is a regional thing. I wrote up MY version, but it is really not as authentic as it should be. Here's mine:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken Bog

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 quarts water -- enough to cover the chicken
2 tablespoons salt
2 medium onions -- chopped
2 stalks celery -- chopped
4 large carrots -- peeled and sliced
5 pounds stewing chicken
3 cups long-grain white rice
1 pound smoked sausage -- sliced

Place water and salt in a large pot. Add chicken and bring all to a boil. Lower heat and cook until chicken is tender, about 1 hour. Remove chicken from pot and let cool. Pour off broth and allow it to cool. Clean the pot.

Remove skin and bones from the chicken, leaving the meat in large pieces.

Using the clean pot, fry the sausage in a small amout of oil for 3-5 minutes. Then add onions and carrots. Cook until onions become translucent.

Meanwhile, skim the fat from the chicken broth. Add 6 cups of the chicken broth to the sausage mixture. Reserve remaining broth. Bring this to a boil.

Add rice and chicken to the pot.

When the mixture comes back to a boil, lower the heat to low and cover. Cook all together for 20 to 30 minutes or until rice is cooked and all the liquid has been absorbed. Avoid stirring too often, as this will cause the rice to get sticky. There should be no liquid remaining. If mixture gets too thick, add some of the reserved broth to keep rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot.

Description:
"This recipe is a Southern tradition, usually served outside with collard greens and fried corn bread. It should have the consistency of a rice pilaf."
Cuisine:
"Southern"

Here's a link to a more authentic recipe: (and she's right...I have been to chicken bogs where the bones were left in the pot. Daddy always asked which way they preferred serving it before he catered an event. I always asked which way it was being served before I'd commit to go. I HATED having to pick through the rice for bones! But purists prefer leaving the bones in.)

Chicken Bog
Daphne

Re: T.G.I.F. 4/8, What's for Dinner?? Gourmet_Mom Sharon, this is a re...
**reads Jeans posts and faints**

Re: T.G.I.F. 4/8, What's for Dinner?? DFen911 **reads Jeans posts ...
>>>>>SPEW<<<<<

OMG....that was too funny!
Daphne
T.G.I.F. 4/8, What's for Dinner??