Has anyone done this? I guess the seafood paella is out (at least for company) because of shelfish allergies.

What do you all think of this? Has anyone smoked a prime rib? Any thoughts on the taste. I had a smoked prime rib at a local restuarant and I thought it was wonderful.

But my dad said that not all people like smoked meat. Hmmmm... Is this true? just checking with you experts and foodies.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Applewood Smoked Prime Rib? luvnit Has anyone done this...
I've never used apple wood to smoke prime rib, but I have used a combination of apple wood and oak for tri-tip rather frequently, and we love it. Apple wood is pretty mild, so I'd be surprised if it offended anyone. I add oak because I love that flavor with beef.

Re: Applewood Smoked Prime Rib? karyn I've never used appl...
Thank you Karyn! I can see exactly what you mean. I know I have had hickory smoked meat and immediately thought they tasted like bacon. Great idea with blending the oak and applewood. Smoking with Oak in these parts is pretty rare. For what reason I am not sure.
Laura

Re: Applewood Smoked Prime Rib? luvnit Thank you Karyn! I c...
I don't think applewood is strong enough for beef--if you can't find oak can you get hickory? Mesquite is good but very local--pecan is wonderful!! How about pecan or hickory shells (soaked in water)!!??
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".

Re: Applewood Smoked Prime Rib? Old Bay I don't think applew...
Laura - this might help you choose your woods to use.

Apple and Cherry: slightly sweet and fruity
Peach: slightly sweet and very woodsy
Hickory: strong, pungent, hearty
Pecan (the Southern cousin to Hickory): a bit more mellow but similar to Hickory
Maple: mellow, sweet
Oak: very perceptible but not unpleasant acidic note
Mesquite: tangy, but during the long, slow heat of barbecuing that tanginess turned to bitterness

Funny you brought this up - you're playing with my mind. I'm planning of getting a prime rib to play with and also a chunk of bolgna to smoke some bologna 'steaks'.

But remember - Paella is not necessarily a seafood dish - you can make it out of anything. Ours yesterday was sausage and chicken. It was wonderful and I'm so glad you brought the subject up!!
[Image: FathersDayPaella.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Applewood Smoked Prime Rib? cjs Laura - this might ...
Laura, you asked if some people don't care for smoked meats, so I just wanted to comment on that. For some reason, my own daughters aren't real crazy about it. It seems that a little goes a long way and we all get tired of it if we have it too often. The only meat that the girls like smoked is when we do a pork shoulder. That seems to be everyone's favorite, so that is what we mostly do now, usually a couple times over the summer. Ron and I like brisket in the smoker also, but have never done prime rib.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Applewood Smoked Prime Rib? Mare749 Laura, you asked if ...
I know some people who can't stand it. Fortunately, they are not friends, relatives, or anyone for whom I would cook.

There are also those who won't touch smoked food because they say it's carcinogenic. Of course, many of the same people say the same thing about plastic bags and anything else that goes against their lifestyle (and then tell us that we must celebrate tolerance and diversity). LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Applewood Smoked Prime Rib? cjs Laura - this might ...
Thanks Jean! Your paella looks yummy. I was just looking for something that people don't cook 'every day'. I will have to say that the seafood allergy is sort of a blessing as the cost is quite high in these parts for seafood. But we were looking forward to a real treat!

Thankfully I have time to hone a perfect menu for the occasion. Thank you all so much for your thoughts and input. It is very valuable.
Laura

Re: Applewood Smoked Prime Rib? luvnit Thanks Jean! Your p...
Roy and I also get tired of the smoked food. I think that's why we enjoyed the 'baked' potato so much, there was just the hint of smoke rather than the in you face smokiness of the pasta casserole.

Hope you'll let us know what your menu ends up being, Laura! (and, paella is not expensive to serve a crowd... )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Applewood Smoked Prime Rib? luvnit Thanks Jean! Your p...
Maybe Jean can check in her book - I seem to recall a paella made with chicken and chorizo. It sounded really really good to me. Playing in my mind here, small rounds of corn on the cob, would be interesting in it. Jean?????

As far as the Prime rib - I'd do it low and slow to a med rare (no more than that) with a light smoke, apple and cherry with a really good dry rub on the prime.

We looked at a smoker yesterday! I'm hoping I can talk him into it. I can just taste it!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Applewood Smoked Prime Rib?