I've got this slab of salmon. Obviously, the two of us can't eat that, so I have to decide how to deal with it. Do I try to cut off some pieces while it's frozen...tough to do but not impossible, I don't suppose. Or can I thaw it out, cut off what I want, then refreeze it?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Frozen Salmon Question Gourmet_Mom I've got this slab o...
If it were me, I'd thaw just enough to get a knife through it and still has lots of ice crystals and partially frozen.
also, the thin under-belly strip?? Cut that off and you might want to do something like this with it - from an upcoming book. I used to do this when I was working and I'd feed the staff with it. (it's good tossed with some hot cooked pasta also.)

Salmon Spread

When cooking with salmon I always cut off the very thin parts of the filet that will inevitably be over cooked and this is the best use I have found for them – this is delicious. Keep a plastic bag in the freezer to collect these scraps of salmon to use.

about 3/4 of a pound of salmon scraps, chunked and set aside.
1 cup water
1 bottle of beer
1/2 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. minced rosemary
1 clove garlic, minced3/4 lb. salmon scraps, diced
8 oz. cream cheese
1 tub (about 5 oz.) Alouette cheese spread
1/2 cup minced celery
2 hard-cooked eggs, finely chopped or grated through the large holes of a grater
1/3 cup minced red onion
1/4 cup capers
Additional minced red onions and/or grated hard-cook egg for garnish

Bring the water, beer, Worcestershire, rosemary and garlic to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the salmon pieces and cook 2 minutes; drain and chill the salmon mixture.

In a food processor or bowl, mix together the cream cheese and Alouette cheese spread incorporating completely. Turn out into a mixing bowl; add the celery, eggs and onions. When salmon is cool, gently fold into the cheese mixture with the capers. Transfer to serving bowl or mold. Garnish with minced red onion and grated hard-cooked egg. Makes about 3 cups spread.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Frozen Salmon Question cjs If it were me, I'd t...
That's what I was hoping to hear! Thanks for the spread recipe! Copied and saved for the weekend!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Frozen Salmon Question