Going to make you jealous: I can currently get four-pound butternut squash for 38 cents apiece!!!!!

Although there are several butternut squash recipes already in the forum and I'd really like to try Jean's ravioli, I just can't afford the goat cheese and hazelnuts right now.

Of course I'll be making lots of the butternut-squash-and-leek soup that I always make, but do any of you have any favourites that you haven't already posted here. It would be great if I could get some recipes that would freeze well so I could REALLY stock up.

Ideas?

Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

More butternut squash recipes? labradors Going to make you je...
38¢?? wow! I'd be stocking up also. this will be difficult - I post everything!!! So, if it looks familiar, skip it I guess.

Well, you knew this was coming -
Little 'pizzettas' - Preheat the oven to 400°F. Peel and slice the squash into wheels. Place on an oiled baking sheet, brush on some olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Bake for about 30 minutes, until almost done.

Put basil, garlic, and olive oil into a blender and puree. When the squash starts to brown and looks almost ready to eat, spoon on some of the sauce, sprinkle with pistachios, and bake for another 5 minutes. Serve very hot. I like to slice them, pizza style, into 6 bites per pizzetta. (can't remember where this idea came from)

Curry Mellow Meatballs - Nigella Lawson - uses b. squash and I think I posted it here. It's so good.

BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND LEEK GRATINS - can't remember if I've posted this one or not. very good.

B. squash fries

* Exported from MasterCook *

RED CURRY BEEF WITH BUTTERNUT SQUASH

1 1/2 c unsweetened coconut milk
2 Tbsps red curry paste
3/4 lb boneless beef, such as tri-tip, flnk steak, or rib-ey, thinly sliced crosswise into 2" strips
1 1/2 c chicken broth or water
1 sm butternut squash, peeled and cut in generous bite-sized chunks (about 2 cups)
2 Tbsps fish sauce
1 Tbsp plam sugar or brown sugar

In med. pan or heavy skillet, bring about 3/4 cup of the coconut milk to a gentle boil over med-high heat.
Cook for 2-3 min., till it begins to thicken & becomes fragrant.
Add the curry paste and cook 2-3 min., pressing & stirring to dissolve it into the coconut milk.
Add the beef and cook another min. or two, tossing to coat with the sauce.

Add the remaining 3/4 cup of coconut milk, the chicken broth, butternut squash, fish sauce & palm sugar, and bring to a full boil.
Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer & cook, stirring now and then, till the beef is cooked and the squash is tender but still firm, 5-7 min.
Remove from heat, transfer to a serving dish and serve hot or warm.

(I served with a rice pilaf)

Description:
"This a very hot, but very good dish!! Serves 4-6"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

BUTTERNUT SQUASH, ROSEMARY, AND BLUE CHEESE RISOTTO

7 cups low-salt chicken broth -- (or more)
3 tablespoons butter
1 1/4 cups finely chopped onion
1 2 pound butternut squash -- peeled, halved, seeded, cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch dice (about 3 cups)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary -- divided
2 cups arborio rice (about 13 1/2 ounces)
1/2 cup dry white wine
4 cups baby spinach leaves (about 4 ounces)(didn't use) -- (packed)
1/2 cup whipping cream (trying to be careful -- so omitted)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
----------
1/3 cup Crumbled Blue Cheese (about 1 1/2 Ounces) or Gorgonzola Cheese

1/4 Cup Toasted Pine Nuts - for Garnish

Bring 7 cups broth to boil in large saucepan. Cover and reduce heat to low.

Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add squash and 1 1/2 teaspoons rosemary; sauté 4 minutes to coat with butter.

Add rice and stir 2 minutes. Add wine and simmer until evaporated, about 1 minute. Add 7 cups hot broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until rice is just tender and risotto is creamy and slightly soupy, adding more broth by 1/4 cupfuls as needed to maintain consistency and stirring occasionally, about 18 minutes. Stir in spinach, cream, and Parmesan cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Transfer risotto to large bowl. Sprinkle with blue cheese, remaining 1/2 teaspoon rosemary and pine nuts. serve.

Makes 4 servings.
Bon Appétit, February 2005

I've always used the classic method for making risotto, but tried this last nite and it worked great!
Even with the omissions this was a very creamy, nice risotto - and super easy.

Notes: use Asiago cheese instead of the blue
Make ahead - After the rice and squash are cooked, let sit up to 45 minutes; warm it up and add the spinach, crea, and parmesan.

Description:
"first made 1/25/07 - wonderful and a great method to making risotto. served with Tyler Florence's game hens - his book, page 146"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I like to add roasted chunks to different pasta and couscous dishes.

roast thinly sliced half-moons of squash rubbed with oil , s&p. Mix a little soft butter with parmesan and spread on flour tortilla - lay tortilla buttered side down on baking sheet. Lay slices of squash on flour tortilla and top with Gruyére, blue cheese, chopped fresh sage and lots of black pepper. Fold the tortillas in half to enclose the filling, forming a half-moon. Fry, grill or bake the quesadillas.

O.K., I'll let someone else have a turn now. Oh, and I also freeze chunks of squash for later use, too.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: More butternut squash recipes? cjs 38¢?? wow! I'd be st...
I agree with Jean's idea of roasting (Do some with garlic) and freezing it. That way you can have Jean's Roasted Butternut Squash Penne al Burro any time you like! YUMMMY!

I almost forgot, I have a really good Butternut Squash Lasagna that I get would freeze well. Then somebody, Vicci or Denise maybe(?), posted a good Cheese Tortellini & Butternut Squash recipe that we liked. Then we liked the Italian Sausage and Squash Soup from the Soups and Stews book. If you don't have any of these and are interested, let me know. I'll be glad to post them tomorrow.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: More butternut squash recipes? Gourmet_Mom I agree with Jean's ...
Thanks. Lots of good-sounding stuff.

Still thinking about those ravioli, though, but I'm going to skip the hazelnut part and use requesón (similar to Ricotta) instead of the goat cheese (maybe adding a little lemon juice to simulate the tartness of the goat cheese).

Otherwise, still deciding.

Re: More butternut squash recipes? labradors Thanks. Lots of goo...
I once made pumpkin enchiladas. I imagine butternut squash would work as well.

Re: More butternut squash recipes? Trixxee I once made pumpkin ...
Picked up the rest of the soup ingredients yesterday (and a couple more squash). Have the soup simmering right now. Smells WONDERFUL!
More butternut squash recipes?