When I finished my classes this past spring we had a potluck the last day of school. One of the ladies brought a dish that she called cornbread chili. This is different from "chile cornbread" which is basically cornbread with green chilis. She made this in a 9x13 glass pan and it had cornbread on the top and bottom and a thick beef and bean chili running through the middle. It was the first dish emptied, as it was so good!

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Cornbread Chili Mare749 When I finished my c...
It seems like I've heard of it, but I have never made it. Sorry.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
I don't have a recipe for this and must say, I'm not really a cornbread fan, except when I have ham & bean or split pea soups, - then I have to have fresh cornbread with melted butter and honey dribbling down my arms.

When I was a tiny girl, my Grandpa always wanted me to have a bowl of cornbread with milk and sugar with him, but I held out for saltines crushed with milk and sugar. Oh, how I loved that time with 'Moredaddy' - now isn't that a ridiculous name for a grandpa??? (Grandma Fry was 'Moremommie' ) hve not a clue where these names came from.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Cornbread Chili cjs I don't have a recip...
Sounds very similar to a tamale pie but I've only put the cornmeal mixture on the top, not top and bottom.

Re: Cornbread Chili Trixxee Sounds very similar ...
Quote:

Sounds very similar to a tamale pie but I've only put the cornmeal mixture on the top, not top and bottom.

Thanks Trixxee, I'll research that and see what I come up with.

Last night I was going through recipes and came across Lorraine's recipe for cornmeal cake. OMG, that was so good and will be made very soon.
Maryann

Re: Cornbread Chili Mare749 [blockquote]Quote:[h...
I just saw that somewhere . . . mind is gone. I'll think of it in the middle of the night I'm sure. Shoot. Before Monday . . . I'll have to retrace my steps. It sounded good, not quite a tamale pie but made me think of that too. A chili cookoff on TV???
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
I like crumbled cornbread with black eye peas and juice, or chili (forget the beans), or with a good soup. My favorite thing with chili is rice or fritos (frito pie).
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".

Re: Cornbread Chili Old Bay I like crumbled corn...
I love these stories! Please keep them coming!
Maryann

Re: Cornbread Chili Mare749 I love these stories...
I do too, Maryann.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Cornbread Chili cjs I do too, Maryann. [...
William's weird! I make fried corn bread. I think Bill calls it corn fitters? Anyway, William always pours vinegar on his. He'd never had it until my mom fixed it for dinner one time with collards. The vinegar for the collards ran over to his corn bread and he fell in love with it. He's put vinegar on it ever since....LOL! The man love his vinegar....what can I say!

I'd never had cake-like cornbread until his grandmother fixed it for dinner one time....LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Cornbread Chili