What a wonderful dish this turned out to be and it's been sitting under my nose for years! It's from M.C.'s Flavors of the World cookbook. I cooked a beef rump roast a couple of days ago and ran across this recipe while I was looking for seasoning ideas.

Keep in mind, I'm a person who would rather go without steak than to eat something tough, but I thought why not give this a try - slices of rump roast grilled??? No way.

The flavors are great, the meat was a little 'bite resistant' but not bad at all - the whole dinner just worked. I cooked up 2 'nests' of Chinese egg noodles and tossed with a little veggie and sesame oil while I grilled the beef for 1 1/2 min. each side. Filled 2 portabellas with the noodles and stuck in the oven.

When we sat down I drizzled some of the Ginger Teriyaki sauce over the noodles/mushrooms and the beef. It was all delicious!! And, talk about a fast dinner - except for the marinating of the beef for 4 hours. (don't know how you'd get around that for your 'fast dinners,' Daphne)I only made half the marinade and sauce 'cause I only did 2 slices of beef.
Here's the recipe for those who don't have MasterCook -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Miso Barbecue Beef with Ginger Teriyaki*****

2 1/2 pounds rump roast
1 1/2 tablespoons Japanese miso
3 tablespoons mirin or dry sherry
3 tablespoons Japanese style soy sauce
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons sesame oil
SAUCE:
2 tablespoons sake
3 tablespoons rice wine or dry sherry
3 tablespoons Japanese style soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
-------
Served with:
2 portabello mushrooms baked for 15 minutes, then filled with 1 each a 'nest' of Chinese Egg Noodles and a drizzle of the Ginger Teriyaki sauce over. (Cook the noodles and toss with a little veggie oil and Sesame oil)

Slice roast across grain into 1/4-inch thick slices. Combine miso, mirin, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and sesame oil. Place beef in self-sealing plastic bag; add marinade, turn bag, and massage to coat. Refrigerate 4 hours. Remove meat from marinade; wipe off excess. Grill over hot coals 1 to 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until seared. Serve hot with ginger-teriyaki sauce, over noodles or rice.

SAUCE: Place all ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer into a light syrupy consistency. Serves 6

Cuisine:
"Japanese"

Chinese/Japanese fusion! I was so sure it wasn't going to work, I didn't even bother taking pictures.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Miso Barbecue Beef with Ginger Teriyaki Review cjs What a wonderful dis...
Now what did I do with that miso????

I'll have to save this idea for when I can get a small container of miso - there's just no room to store anything.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Miso Barbecue Beef with Ginger Teriyaki Review Harborwitch Now what did I do wi...
Jean, I don't think that Daphne needs to worry about the marinating time. I have marinated beef (and venison) overnight with no problem at all.

This sounds like a must do. What do you mean by cooking nests of chinese noodles. Did you fry them?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Miso Barbecue Beef with Ginger Teriyaki Review Mare749 Jean, I don't think ...
That was going to be my question, Maryann. I would guess throwing the marinade together the night before wouldn't be a bad thing?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Miso Barbecue Beef with Ginger Teriyaki Review Gourmet_Mom That was going to be...
The noodles come in 'nests' in the pkg., which are a perfect individual size. I just boiled them for ~3 minutes.

We enjoyed this dish so much and it's so easy and fast, that I'm thinking of slicing my 2nd roast mostly for this dish and making some stew meat out of the rest of it. Crap, there goes filling the freezer again....but the roasts were buy 1 get 1 free.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Miso Barbecue Beef with Ginger Teriyaki Review cjs The noodles come in ...
Can't pass that up! And look at what you found because of it!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Miso Barbecue Beef with Ginger Teriyaki Review Gourmet_Mom Can't pass that up! ...
Okay, thanks, Jean. I've seen those pkgs. of nested noodles at the asian market.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Miso Barbecue Beef with Ginger Teriyaki Review