We tried this with the recommended Ginger & Sesame Rice last night. It was HOT! But I made a couple of changes.

Changes:
- I subbed pork roast (the kind that comes in netting).
- I subbed Sriacchi for the chili garlic sauce (out) and added some grated garlic
- As I was adding the Sriacchi I realized that a third of a cup might be too much heat for me, so I stopped at a quarter cup.
- Looking at the recipe, I think I left out the brown sugar?
- Forgot to get nuts

Recommendations:
- Two to three tablespoons of heat would be plenty for us.
- Don't forget the brown sugar!
- Try it with tenderloin, even though the roast meat was fine, just not as tender.

The flavors,, even without the brown sugar, were very good....even though my mouth was on fire. I will definitely do this again with the recommendations. It really didn't take that long to prep. I did that as soon as I got home. Then after a glass or two of wine, I started the rice and the pork and it all came together at the same time. Even with the heat I'd give it an 8. I'm sure my score would be much higher with the recommendations.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

REVIEW: Sweet and Sour Pork Stir Fry Issue #90 Gourmet_Mom We tried this with t...
Excellent review, thanks. This recipe is on my short list of must make.

Re: REVIEW: Sweet and Sour Pork Stir Fry Issue #90 losblanos1 Excellent review, th...
If you get a minute, Daph, could you post it? It sounds yummy and thanks for your recommendations
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: REVIEW: Sweet and Sour Pork Stir Fry Issue #90 farnfam If you get a minute,...
Thanks Daphne, not a heat fan myself, so I will make note of your comments.

Not Daphne, but here you go:
EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

SWEET AND SOUR PORK STIR FRY

Servings: 6 Yield: 8 cups

Can use canned pineapple in juice, drain and use 6 oz. of juice and reserve rest for other uses.

SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE
6 oz. pineapple juice
1/4 cup chili garlic sauce
3 TBS. rice vinegar
3 TBS. low-sodium soy sauce
3 TBS. brown sugar
2 TBS. dry sherry
2 TBS. cornstarch
PORK AND VEGGIES
1 lb. pork tenderloin
3 TBS. vegetable oil
1 TBS. minced fresh ginger
1 TBS. minced fresh garlic
2 red bell peppers
1 cup carrots sliced thinly
2 cups snow peas
1 bunch scallions
1 cup pineapple
1 TBS. whole cashews

Whisk all sauce ingredients together until smooth and set aside.

In a large non-stick skillet or wok, heat oil over high heat. Then add half the pork and sear until browned, about 5 minutes.

Remove pork with slotted spoon and place in a paper-towel lined plate. Add remaining pork to pan and sear and remove as above. Wipe skillet or wok clean.

Add remaining TBS. of oil, heat over medium-high heat and stir fry ginger and garlic unitl fragant about 30 seconds. Add bell pepper and carrot;; stir fry for 2-3 minutes. Add snow peas and scallion whites; stiry fry 1-2 minutes.

Add pineapple and reserved sauce mixture; simmer to thicken, about 2 minutes. Stir in reserved pork and simmer until heated through, 2 minutes. Garnish each serving with scallion greens and cashews.

Whisk all sauce ingredients together until smooth and set aside.

In a large non-stick skillet or wok, heat oil over high heat. Then add half the pork and sear until browned, about 5 minutes.

Remove pork with slotted spoon and place in a paper-towel lined plate. Add remaining pork to pan and sear and remove as above. Wipe skillet or wok clean.

Add remaining TBS. of oil, heat over medium-high heat and stir fry ginger and garlic unitl fragant about 30 seconds. Add bell pepper and carrot;; stir fry for 2-3 minutes. Add snow peas and scallion whites; stiry fry 1-2 minutes.

Add pineapple and reserved sauce mixture; simmer to thicken, about 2 minutes. Stir in reserved pork and simmer until heated through, 2 minutes. Garnish each serving with scallion greens and cashews.

Preparation Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes

Source: Cuisine@Home 12/2011 page 11

Recipe Type: ALINA'S ADAPTATION, Bell Peppers, Carrots, Cashews, Cuisine at Home, Main Dish, Pineapple Canned, Pork, Snow Peas, Stri-Fry

I plan on making this tomorrow myself.

Re: REVIEW: Sweet and Sour Pork Stir Fry Issue #90 Cubangirl Thanks Daphne, not a...
I forgot one other substitution. I used canned pineapple chunks.

Thanks, Alina.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: REVIEW: Sweet and Sour Pork Stir Fry Issue #90 Gourmet_Mom I forgot one other s...
Yumyum, going on the make very soon list
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: REVIEW: Sweet and Sour Pork Stir Fry Issue #90 farnfam Yumyum, going on the...
I made this tonight and really loved it. I made it in a 5 QT non-stick sauté pan.

I used 1 20oz. canned pineapple chunks. The juice was exactly 6 0z. and I didn't bother measuring the chunks, just threw all in cutting them with scissors in the pan while they were cooking.

I had about 8 oz. of pieces trimmed from pork chops (so I could get at some fat I wanted to trim) that I'd frozen and 24 oz. trimmed from a pork shoulder for the same reason. I cut them to be about the same size and put them all in. The ones from pork chops were a little tougher, the pork shoulder was great (no fat, just meat)

I used the 1/4 cup Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce and 4 large garlic cloves. I grated the ginger just out of the freezer on one of those knobby dishes. It went much faster frozen. I cut the stringy parts left before I refroze what was left, cut them into smaller pieces and added the all the ginger to the garlic cloves in the garlic press. I also added a couple of shakes of Penzey's granulated garlic and ground ginger after the veggies were added.

I used only 1 large red bell pepper, again frozen, rinsed it warm water and sliced and cut slices in half.

I added almost 2 cups of thinly sliced button mushrooms (they were going to go bad if not used), cut in half after slicing.

I found this package of petite carrots, really tiny baby carrots, so I put those in about 7 oz. and then cut the in half with scissors while they cooked.

Interesting DH said it was hot and I would not like it, so I used a slotted spoon to put over my white rice. I thought it was fantastic. I felt the heat only after I had swallowed and it was not bad, I just kept eating and throughly enjoyed it. My guess it was the extra ginger that put it over the top, but apparently heat from ginger does not bother me like the heat from jalapenos or black pepper. I'll use the Thai sweet chili sauce in the same amount again and even the extra ginger.

Sorry for the long review, but I thought maybe a couple of my hints might be new to some.

Re: REVIEW: Sweet and Sour Pork Stir Fry Issue #90 Cubangirl I made this tonight ...
Going to have to look at this one again... Thanks Alina and Daphne.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
REVIEW: Sweet and Sour Pork Stir Fry Issue #90