A while back, an American friend, here, invited me out to the home that he runs for women with AIDS. Since he and the other people who work there are strict Seventh-Day Adventists and, therefore, vegetarians, they always serve me a vegetarian lunch (sometimes using TVP, sometimes seitan).

The last time I was there, they also served from freshly-baked, whole-wheat rolls (not 100%) that were absolutely delicious, so I asked the cook for her recipe. She wrote it down on a scrap of paper and I translated it into English to post here.

It has taken a while, but I finally made these, today, and they are simply scrumptious! Here's the recipe:

Whole Wheat Rolls
Makes about 2 dozen small rolls

Ingredients:
  • 2 Lbs. All-purpose flour
  • 1 Lb. Whole-wheat flour
  • 4 Tbsp. Sugar
  • 1 Tsp. Salt
  • 1/2 Packet (1 1/8 Tsp.) Instant yeast
  • 1/4 Cup Shortening
  • Water, as needed, at about 115F-120F
Instructions:
  1. Stir together the dry ingredients.
  2. Gradually add in the shortening.
  3. Gradually add water, kneading by hand until it is possible to form balls of dough.
  4. Roll the dough into small balls.
  5. Place the balls of dough into a greased pan.
  6. Allow the dough to rest and rise for 1 hour.
  7. Bake at 400F for about 20 minutes.
Notes:
  • The handwritten recipe that was given to me said to bake at 250-300, but didn't specify Fahrenheit or Celsius (down here, they're used about equally when it comes to oven temperatures). Most similar recipes I've seen said 400F, so that's what I used. Otherwise, 250F-300F seemed too low (and the rolls were not getting done in the first batch I put in) and 250C-300C would be outside the range of most ovens. Use your own judgement and your own favourite temperature - just make sure the rolls get done and don't burn on the bottom.
  • She didn't specify heating the water, but it would almost have to be for the rising time she stated. Since instant yeast ix mixed in with the dry ingredients and not with the water and sugar, the water should be a little hotter than for active, dry yeast, so I chose 115F-120F, which is at the upper end of (even somewhat past) the usual range.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Yummy whole-wheat rolls labradors A while back, an Ame...
Thanks Labs - can't have too many bread roll recipes. I just made some dinner rolls out of my bread dough pizza and they sure are good, too.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Yummy whole-wheat rolls cjs Thanks Labs - can't ...
Bread baking is something I'd like to get to this weekend. Thanks for the recipe, Labs. I think William would like this. He really likes whole wheat breads. Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Yummy whole-wheat rolls