Good article and recipe in the WSJ this weekend, for skirt steak, spinach, and smashed sunchokes. It mentions that they taste like hazlenuts and are slightly sweet. Anybody have a taste for these things? I don't care for sweet vegis but am intrigued by sunchokes.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".

Sunchokes? Old Bay Good article and rec...
I don't think I've ever worked with sunchokes, Bill - but it sounded familiar so you sent me searching. I do have an idea for a pizza using them.

"Savoy-Cabbage-and-Sunchoke Pizzas
This incredible pizza is topped with buttery braised cabbage, pureed sunchokes, crisp pan-fried sunchokes and gooey Emmental cheese"

Well, Wednesday is our trip to the big city (Everett), so will look for them at Trader Joes. Thanks for bring this up.

Just looked it up and it is related to (or also known as) Jerusalem artichoke - not really a choke tho.FLC says, "the flesh is nutty, sweet and crunchy."
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Sunchokes? cjs I don't think I've e...
I've got them on my list of new things to try. I saw someone use them on Food Network or Cooking Channel and they looked really really good.

Kohlrabi was at the top of the list a couple years ago - fell in love, but not seeing it.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Sunchokes? Harborwitch I've got them on my ...
How funny you should mention kohlrabi - I was just going to launch a post asking what to do with it. Bruce planted it in the garden this summer and I kind of just keep looking at it. Chels says to make a slaw out of it. What did you end up doing with it, Sharon?

Re: Sunchokes? iBcookin How funny you should...
We discovered kohlrabi last year. Hubby planted some in the garden and I found recipes to use them. This year he planted more. Slaw is nice, also mashed them, stuffed them with meat filling, and I think we augratined them, too.

Re: Sunchokes? HomeCulinarian We discovered kohlra...
Slaw and mashed at the top of my list. We like Kohlrabi. Haven't tried this soup, but now that it's in my mind, I think I'd better.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Kohlrabi Soup

2 tablespoons butter
1 kohlrabi -- peeled and cut into small pieces
1 shallot -- thinly sliced
1 sprig tarragon
3 ounces dry white wine
3 oz dry vermouth -- such as Noilly Pratt
10 oz fish stock
4 cups heavy cream
salt
juice of 1/2 lemon (approximate)
ground nutmeg

Process (note: hmmm, the whole recipe doesn't seem to be here, but I guess this would be to process until small chunks or grated, maybe?)

In a large saucepan, melt butter; add kohlrabi and shallot. Cook until shallot is wilted, but not browned.

Add tarragon, wine, and vermouth; cook until reduced by 3/4. Add fish stock, and cook until liquid is reduced by 1/2.

Add cream; boil until kohlrabi is very soft. Transfer mixture to a blender. Being careful not to burn yourself and working in batches, purée mixture.

Strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Flavor to taste with salt, lemon juice, and nutmeg.

Description:
"Courtesy of Copeland, Morristown, NJ"
S(Internet Address):
"http://newjerseylife.com/images/pics/Kohlrabi%20Soup.doc"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

and this salad sounds good, also.

8. Chop or slice radishes (or jicama, or the ever-surprising kohlrabi) and combine with chopped or sliced unripe (i.e., still crunchy) mango, lime juice and mint or cilantro
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Sunchokes? cjs Slaw and mashed at t...
that sounds good Jean. We did a gratin - wonderful!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Sunchokes? Harborwitch that sounds good Jea...
Well, there you go, now I have some great ideas. Thanks all! Poor Bruce dragged me out to the garden this fall and points to these things and asks if I have any idea what they are. While I knew what they were, I didn't know what to do with them. But I do now

Re: Sunchokes? iBcookin Well, there you go, ...
I bet you'll love them, Linda!
www.achefsjourney.com
Sunchokes?