Rachael vs. Guy: Celebrity Cook-Off starts this Sunday (Jan 1) at 9PM Eastern.

The celebrities, who will be playing for charity, are:
  • Alyssa Campanella
  • Cheech Marin
  • Aaron Carter
  • Coolio
  • Joey Fatone
  • Lou Diamond Phillips
  • Summer Sanders
  • Taylor Dayne
(Not sure who's on which team, yet.)

Thoughts?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Celebrity Cook-Off labradors [i]Rachael vs. Guy: ...
I think this show is a vulgar way to display, cook or entertain with food.

When you take second hand actors/entertainers who can no longer find work and throw them into a kitchen to be screamed at by Rachel (who I really cannot stand) and Guy for the excuse of raising money for Charity, why doesn't the foodnetwork just donate money and stop with this fiasco.

I find it very insulting that they call this entertainment.

**steps off her soap box**

Re: Celebrity Cook-Off DFen911 I think this show is...
The first thing I thought of was, I guess they can't dance.....

We'll watch it once and see.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Celebrity Cook-Off cjs The first thing I th...
England's Celebrity MasterChef was actually quite interesting. Although I didn't really know any of those celebrities, it was fun to see how their abilities in the kitchen grew from week to week.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Celebrity Cook-Off labradors England's [i]Celebri...
If you didn't watch it, here's one of the first reviews. This show is basically a train wreck

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-...-off-apocalypse

Re: Celebrity Cook-Off DFen911 If you didn't watch ...
It is awful. We've watched it twice - I don't think I'll waste any more time.

"The Big Waste" which followed was heartbreaking! I have been stunned by the waste in the restaurant - it's a buffet, prime rib, load your plate, don't eat ANY of it!

I knew people who "dumpster dive" behind places like Smart & Final (Cash & Carry) and other grocery stores. So much food is tossed that is perfectly good. We watched a farm here just plow under a field of pumpkins - they didn't want anyone gleaning because they "vandalize" the fields.

Oh - sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Celebrity Cook-Off Harborwitch It is awful. We've ...
I agree about the cook off show...won't waste my time. But I'm glad I was watching, because otherwise I would have missed The Big Waste. I knew waste occurred, but not quite at this level. The farms and the seafood market were the most heartbreaking. Granted, this was just outside NYC, so the waste was extreme, but still brought tears to my eyes.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Celebrity Cook-Off Gourmet_Mom I agree about the co...
We watched the cook-off once - no more. Have taped the Waste, anxious to see it.

I was lucky with the chefs I worked with - to a person, we used as much of everything as we possibly could and when it was my turn, everyone had to be aware of what could be used for what and not waste!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Celebrity Cook-Off cjs We watched the cook-...
Jean, you and I have talked about the waste issue here. It's not all the customers.

Anyone have a suggestion for what to do with some Asian pears I found in the walk in???? They were stashed in boxes of apples.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Celebrity Cook-Off Harborwitch Jean, you and I have...
How about slapping on the griddle with a little butter and add to a ham/gruyere(or gorgonzola) sandwich or pizza???

Or, this one that I'm going to do a version of for one of the books -
Caramelized Pear Crostini

1 pear -- skinned, sliced into 1/4 inch thick slices
6 oz Goat Cheese
1/3 cup Chopped Chives
3 tbsp Brown Sugar
2 tbsp Butter
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
4 slices prosciutto -- (4 to 6)
6 crostini pieces -- whole wheat recommended (6 to 8)

Combine goat cheese and chives in a bowl and set aside.

In a non-stick pan on medium heat, add the butter and brown sugar and stir until melted. Add the sliced pears to the pan and coat in butter and sugar mixture. Add the cayenne pepper to the fruit once fully coated.

Simmer on medium heat until one side of the pear starts to brown, then remove from heat. Take the goat cheese mixture and liberally coat each crostini piece.

Lay the caramelized pears on top of the goat cheese, usually about 1-2 for each piece. Top this with a slice of prosciutto and drizzle remaining sauce from pan on top.

Serves 2-3

----

have fun.
www.achefsjourney.com
Celebrity Cook-Off