The general mood all week here at work was not good, and this morning the word "morose" would describe it. Out of 500-some people, 68 were laid off. A lot of "fat" was cut, but there were a few surpirses, too. I mean, there were guys over 70 still working that should have retired, but opted to get laid off and take the unemployment bennies before consolidating their retirement plans.

But there's talk about another cut in March that's too strong to ignore.

Barbara<~~~crossing fingers...
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.

OT - I Survived! BarbaraS The general mood all...
Glad to hear that you survived the first cut. I've been where you are and can sympathize. Try not to worry too much, although you probably will anyway. Cruel, isn't it?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: OT - I Survived! Mare749 Glad to hear that yo...
How stressful! I have also been there - when I was about 6 months pregnant. I was freaking out.

Hoping that you make it through the next cut, Barbara.

Re: OT - I Survived! Trixxee How stressful! I ha...
You've sure been on my mind about this, Barbara - so glad to hear the first hurdle is behind you!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: OT - I Survived! cjs You've sure been on ...
Thanks All,

Our customer for our software services has had to go through same scenario, but they were so critical of the timing of the announcement and the lack of consideration of the employees going through the stress. It's all just a screwed up thing.

And yeah, March will be another gray hair month.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.

Re: OT - I Survived! BarbaraS Thanks All,[br][br]O...
You will be in my prayers, Barbara. I'm glad you made it through this cut. I hope you will be blessed again in the next.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: OT - I Survived! Gourmet_Mom You will be in my pr...
I don't know what to say--I have four employees--in this economy I have cut my salary to 1/3--nothing asked in return--my employees have been with me 30, 28, 11, & 10 years--it looks like we are going to make it with no cuts or layoffs. I know what your employer is going thru , believe me if it is a small business, he doesn't want the layoffs to go further. I pay medical insurance and disability for my folks--I haven't given a raise in two years, health insurance costs have been their raises--it's getting worse--be well Barbara, you will survive if your boss does all he can to make it happen. Things do seem to be getting a little better. (no little gremlin, just , good luck).
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".

Re: OT - I Survived! Old Bay I don't know what to...
Oh Barbara I think we can all empathize. When the economy went south for us we all took a pay cut and we trimmed down our staff by 1/2. And, like Bill, none us has seen a pay increase in 5 years.

Keep your chin up, you'll get thru this. I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed for you.

Re: OT - I Survived! DFen911 Oh Barbara I think w...
Barbara, I'm glad you made it thru the first cut, and fingers crossed for March.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: OT - I Survived! Lorraine Barbara, I'm glad yo...
Well, I don't see any good coming out of this in the future. We're in the Defense Industry and the prediction is that 1 million Defense workers will be out of their jobs in the upcoming years because of budget cuts.

Might be time to research how to start up "Barbara's Nutz!" Company.

Barbara
OT - I Survived!