It seems a lot of us have bread machines that we don't use anymore. The following is a tasty recipe that a friend gave me that I'm sure can be made by hand. There are no instructions with this because it was written for a bread machine that she bought for her son who was teaching in Barrow, Alaska at the time and bread was terribly expensive.

This recipe became his favorite all-purpose loaf because it is tasty toasted and makes a good sandwich. I make it in the bread machine using the dough cycle, then bake it in a bread pan in my regular oven at 375 for 30 minutes. It can also be free-formed prior to baking. Be sure to let it rise for 30 minutes or so until it looks nice and puffy.

I have also made up this dough, formed it into a loaf, set it on a baking sheet with cornmeal, and let it slow rise in the frig overnight before baking. Turns out great that way too.

* Exported from MasterCook *

French Honey Bread

1 1/8 cups water
1 Tablespoon honey
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
3 cups bread flour
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast

Description:
"Wonderful, slightly sweet French bread with a light, crispy crust"

NOTES : Recipe from Mary Grey
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Recipe for bread machines Mare749 It seems a lot of us...
sounds good Maryann - how funny, you bring this up. I had some buttermilk ready to go bad yesterday, so made an old bread machine recipe, but made by hand. Retired, I really prefer to make it by hand, but I do have some good old machine recipes that I like.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Buttermilk Potato Bread (1-Pound Recipe)

2/3 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup instant potato flakes or buds (I always have 'buds' on hand for thickening, so that's what I use.)
1 large egg
1 tablespoon butter or margarine -- cut up
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups bread flour
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon Fleischmann's® Bread Machine Yeast

Measure all ingredients into bread machine pan in the order suggested by manufacturer, adding potato flakes with liquid ingredients.

Process on basic/white bread cycle; use medium/normal crust color setting. Do not use delayed-bake feature. Remove bread from pan; cool on wire rack.

Source:
"Fleischmann's Yeast"
S(Internet address):
"http://www.breadworld.com/index.html"
Yield:
"1 Loaf"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Do not make loaves larger than recommended by manufacturer. Use the 1-pound recipe if your bread machine pan holds 10 cups or less of water. Use the 2-pound recipe if the pan holds 13 cups or more.

---

You know this could turn into a really interesting thread, bread mavens that we all are!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Recipe for bread machines cjs sounds good Maryann ...
My family loves potato bread, so I'm going to have to make this one.
Maryann

Re: Recipe for bread machines Mare749 My family loves pota...
Every so often someone begins a thread about their favorite kitchen equipment/utensils and I have never thought to list this one and I love it. I am the world's worst bread slicer - free form - so, this little goodie really keeps me honest.

[Image: CIMG1849.jpg]

It was a Christmas present years ago and it languished in the bowels of whatever house we were in until retirement and more bread making; now, it's on a shelf in the pantry.

Anyone else have one of these?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Recipe for bread machines cjs Every so often someo...
That's neat! I don't even use my bread machine anymore...and I don't know why. I think mainly because I love that 18 hour bread so much and making rolls or bagettes out of it.

Re: Recipe for bread machines DFen911 That's neat! I don't...
My poor old machine is stuck in a cupboard, but I do have some of the recipes I used to use that I now do by hand. I never liked the crust on machine bread - so, only used it for the dough and now I like kneading - it's relaxing. Plus my ***** are getting larger and I'm sure I can attribute it to the exercise, not fat from overeating...............
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Recipe for bread machines cjs Every so often someo...
I have one - without the crumb box. I don't think we brought it with us. I seem to have more trouble with it - I'm always slicing off part of the plastic.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Recipe for bread machines Harborwitch I have one - without...
Here is the one I have had for years. Not sure where I got it, but I think it might have come as a set with my electric knife. Works really well.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/25096502162...gsi=y&cbt=y
Maryann

Re: Recipe for bread machines Mare749 Here is the one I ha...
I gotta have one of these! These two bread recipes may be my motivation to get back into bread making. Not that we need to be eating bread. But then, if it ever gets cold down here, I may start making up some soups to freeze on the weekend, bake some bread and have soup and sammies on those nights after a crazy day. As a matter of fact, we have a three day holiday weekend coming up......hmmmmm?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Recipe for bread machines Gourmet_Mom I gotta have one of ...
Maryann, that french honey bread is one of my favorites too! It makes such a nice crust and delicious bread. You just reminded me to get my bread machine out again. It has been a while.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
Recipe for bread machines