This one is from "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day." It is for a cornstarch wash to brush on the loaf just before baking.

Cornstarch Wash
Using a fork, blend 1/2 tsp. cornstarch with a small amount of water to form a paste. Add 1/2 cup water and whisk with the fork. Microwave or broil until mixture appears glassy, about 30-60 seconds on high. It will keep in the frig for two weeks; discard if it has an off smell.

The author goes on to say: "Just before baking, paint the surface of the loaf with cornstarch wash, then slash a cross, "scallop," or tic-tac-toe pattern into the top, using a serrated bread knife."

In another part of the book, he mentions that this is the time to sprinkle the loaf with any seeds you might want to use. I was happy to find this because I've been using egg-white wash, but it's not holding the seeds all that well. Also, I'm thinking that maybe the cornstarch wash will help keep the crust nice and crisp.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

More bread baking ideas----please post here! Mare749 This one is from "Ar...
This sounds very cool, Maryann! Thanks for the info!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: More bread baking ideas----please post here! Gourmet_Mom This sounds very coo...
I guess I haven't gotten to that page yet...I'll have to try that. I'm sure having fun with that book.

Another idea from that book, I made the Whole Wheat Sandwich bread - which makes a batch large enough to make 3 1 1/2 lb. loaves. (I added Bob's 7-grain Cereal instead of the wheat germ it called for)

the first loaf, I made as a regular 'sandwich' loaf and the flavor was/is (it's in the freezer and is my piece of toast each morning) delicious. 2nd loaf, I made a focaccia without using the pan of water for steam and this was one of the best focaccias I've made. Yesterday, made the 3rd loaf and did the focaccia again. Will have that one in the freezer.

I'm having a lot of fun with this book. Next project may be the Pain d'Epi (Wheat Stalk Bread) - I've never done this shape and I always love to look at it in bakeries. (page 41, Maryann)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: More bread baking ideas----please post here! cjs I guess I haven't go...
I haven't been brave enough to try that one yet, Jean, but love the way it looks. You really should post the pic of your whole wheat bread. Certainly makes me want to try it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: More bread baking ideas----please post here! Mare749 I haven't been brave...
It is realy good, Maryann -

[Image: WWSandwichBreadJan11.jpg]

and makes great toast.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: More bread baking ideas----please post here! cjs It is realy good, Ma...
Very nice, Jean! I so wish I was retired! I want to play, too!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: More bread baking ideas----please post here! Gourmet_Mom Very nice, Jean! I ...
Have a great day off, Daphne!!
www.achefsjourney.com
More bread baking ideas----please post here!