I have 2 friends who have some venison and would like a sausage recipe.

ISO - Venison Sausage Recipe DFen911 I have 2 friends who...
Do you have Charcuterie???? I think that's where I got the recipe I used. Man they were good - can I look Sunday? next two days are going to be busy! Are you going to smoke them for them???
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: ISO - Venison Sausage Recipe Harborwitch Do you have Charcute...
A lot of us have that book, Denise. I'll post the recipe in a couple of hours for you. Let me get some coffee and wake up.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: ISO - Venison Sausage Recipe cjs A lot of us have tha...
Thanks Jean - I'm just waiting for coffee before I get dressed and out of here!

Re: ISO - Venison Sausage Recipe Harborwitch Thanks Jean - I'm ju...
Here you go, Denise - darn, I wish I had some venison!!

Chef Milos’s Country Venison Sausage – from The Charcuterie Book

3 1/2 lbs. boneless lean venison, all fat and sinew removed, diced
1 1/2 lbs. boneless pork shoulder butt, diced
2 T. granulated sugar
1 1/2 oz. kosher salt (3 T.)
1 T. onion powder
1 tsp. ground white pepper
2 tsps. Hungarian paprika
1 tsp. pink salt (One brand: Morton’s Tender Quick Home Meat Cure)
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 cup ice water
-----
10 feet hog casings, soaked in tepid water for at least 30 minutes and rinsed (NOTE: If you don’t have all the equip. for stuffing the sausage in casings, you can make any sausage and leave it as bulk as well.)

Combine all the ingredients except the water and toss to mix thoroughly. Chill until ready to grind.

Grind the mixture through the small die into a bowl set in ice.

Add the water to the meat mixture and mix with the paddle attachment (or a sturdy spoon) until the water is incorporated and the mixture develops a uniform sticky appearance, about 1 minute on medium speed.

Sauté a bite-sized portion of the sausage taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.

Stuff the sausage into the hog casings, and twist into 6-inch links. Hang on smoke sticks and let dry for 1 to 2 hours at room temperature or in the refrigerator.

Hot smoke the sausages at a temperature of 180°F to an internal temperature of 150°F. Transfer to an ice bath to chill thoroughly, then refrigerate.

Yield: about 5 lbs. sausage or about twenty 6-inch links
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: ISO - Venison Sausage Recipe cjs Here you go, Denise ...
Denise, this is the one we've been using and we really like it.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: ISO - Venison Sausage Recipe Gourmet_Mom Denise, this is the ...
Denise, here is a second idea for your friend if she/he has an abundance of venison. The recipe is from Smoke & Spice, Bill and Cheryl Jamison's book. I love his recipes and tho I have not made this sausage, I would not hesitate to make it.

Gamy Sausage

1 1/2 lbs. ground venison
1 1/2 lbs. ground wild boar or pork
1 small red bell pepper, chopped fine
1/4 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsps. dried oregano
2 tsps. dried basil
2 tsps. salt
1 1/2 tsps. fennel seeds
1 to 1 1/2 tsps. crushed dried red chile of moderate heat, such as chile caribe, or a pinch of cayenne (opt.)
----------
2 yards hog sausage casings
Vegetable oil

At least an evening before you plan to barbecue, start the preparations. In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients except the casings and oil. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.

Prepare the casings, soaking them in several changes of water over several hours. With the stuffing attachment of a meat grinder, stuff the cold sausage mixture into the casings, making 1-inch-thick links about 5 inches long. With your fingers, twist the casings and then tie off the individual sausages with kitchen twine. Cut between them. If you end up with any air bubbles, prick the casing in those spots with a needle. The sausage is ready to be smoked, but it can be refrigerated for several days or frozen for up to a month.

When you are ready to cook the sausage prepare the smoker for barbecuing, bring the temperature to 200°F to 220°F. Rub the sausage lightly with the oil.

Transfer sausages to the smoker and cook for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, until the skin of the sausage looks ready to pop. Always err on the side of caution with the timing and cut one of the sausages open to check for doneness before eating any of them. Serve hot.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: ISO - Venison Sausage Recipe cjs Denise, here is a se...
Geez, Jean, you would bring this up now that the season is over. There is that tenderloin in the church freezer. Hmmmmmm....
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: ISO - Venison Sausage Recipe cjs Denise, here is a se...
I have "Smoke & Spice" how have I missed that?????

Okay, next time I can get my hands on some venison - might have to see if I can round some up . . . I might have a source

Re: ISO - Venison Sausage Recipe Harborwitch I have "Smoke & Spic...
Oh thank you so much!! They were both so excited to get these recipes
ISO - Venison Sausage Recipe