So Jean posted a neat waffle idea so thought I'd add one.

Cornmeal Waffles

Terrific with syrup and sausages. They can also be cut into wedges and paired with roast chicken, grilled shrimp, stew or even fried chicken.

Preheat waffle iron - whisk together in a large bowl -

1 c all purpose flour
1 c cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

Whisk together in another bowl:

2 c buttermilk
5 Tbs butter, melted
1/4 c maple syrup
2 egg yolks

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Combine with a few swift strokes on the whisk. Beat until stiff but not dry, then fold into the batter 2 egg whites.

Cook as directed for your waffle iron, cover about 2/3's of the grid surface.

Waffle Iron DFen911 So Jean posted a nea...
Oh boy, have to try this one, too!! Roy is already asking for a repeat with the bread dough waffles. Love the yeasty flavor.

But, this one sounds good. Thanks Denise. What else can we do with our waffle irons................
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Waffle Iron cjs Oh boy, have to try ...
Would french toast work, I wonder? Or would the egg mixture stick all over the iron?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Waffle Iron Mare749 Would french toast w...
Maryann, dear, check out page 117 of LEFTOVERS book.......
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Waffle Iron cjs Maryann, dear, check...
Oops.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Waffle Iron Mare749 Oops. [img]/ubbthrea...
Oh, that's funny!!!!
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Waffle Iron cjs Oh, that's funny!!!!...
I've never tried this, but don't they use a waffle iron to make a thin crepe then let it harden into a waffle cone? Someone I knew used to coat the inside with that chocolate sauce stuff too. All very decadent, but tempting for the once in a while treat, no?
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Waffle Iron farnfam I've never tried thi...
Now that is interesting. hmmmm, would have to make fairly thick tho to cover the 'dimples' so you have a solid cone. Try it Cis - before you leave - and let us know.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Waffle Iron cjs Now that is interest...
just a quick update, while looking around for waffle cone recipes, I found that they use a waffle cone iron, none said regular waffle iron. Most likely that is the solution to the thickness issue as Jean described. Oh well, it was an idea
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Waffle Iron farnfam just a quick update,...
My pizzelle maker came with a wooden cone to shape waffle cones out of the freshly cooked pizzelles before they cool and become crisp. Works very well.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Waffle Iron