Maryann was talking about AppleButter BBQ sauce the other day and this made me go looking. Found a recipe to try and made it this a.m. - Really good. Just the right amount of heat and just yummy finger tasting...

Her instructions were a little convoluted, so I simplified them a tad.
* Exported from MasterCook *

Apple Butter BBQ Sauce - food.com recipe

1 cup smucker's cider apple butter (or your own)
½ cup ketchup
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
3 teaspoons liquid smoke (I started with 2 tsps. but tastng it, I added the last tsp. - good result)
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
½ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
½ teaspoon minced garlic (I used a medium clove)
½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
½ teaspoon paprika

Add all the ingrdients in a medium saucepan and bring just to a boil over medium heat; reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.

Blogger's Note: Store it however you wish. It should keep in the fridge for 30 days, in a freezer for longer, or just can it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm going to use this on one of the rib dishes. The Brown Sugar & Bourbon Ribs recipe that so many of us love, I worked with yesterday and found that tasting them after adding the rub, roasting with onions and a beer (instead of the apple cider vinegar and cinnamon) for 1 1/2 hours - then tasting - Wow, what a great and easy flavored rib dish.

The other half I'll grill today with some of the applebutter bbq sauce.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Reviews - a Couple cjs Maryann was talking ...
I'm going to the store right now. Just have to make this sauce.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Reviews - a Couple Mare749 I'm going to the sto...
So, here is the revised Brown Sugar & Boubon Ribs recipe -

Brown Sugar and Beer Ribs - Two Ways - March 29,2012*****

2 2 1/4 lbs. racks baby back pork ribs - cleaned of the membrane -- (2 1/4 to 2 1/2)
Rub for ribs:
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
------
1 large onion
1 pt. favorite beer

To prep the ribs, using a small sharp knife, loosen the membrane from the underside of each rib rack and pull off. If you have trouble doing this, then instead score the membrane with a sharp knife.

Combine the rub ingredients in a small bowl; set aside. Spray a large roasting pan that will hold the ribs in one layer with just a slight over-lapping if necessary with cooking spray. Thinly slice the onion and scatter on the bottom of the roasting pan.

On the work surface that you are prepping the ribs, turn them over for the under-side to be up and rub with half the rub. Transfer the ribs underside (rubbed side) down and pat the remaining rub over the top side. Cover with foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate the ribs for 5 to 6 hours or overnight.

When ready to roast, preheat the oven to 325°F. Uncover the ribs and pour the beer into the side of the pan without pouring over the ribs; cover tightly with alum foil and roast in the oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Begin testing for doneness after 1 1/2 hours. You'll want the ribs to have just the slightest resistance, ribs are not as fun to eat if they are falling-off-the-bone-tender.

At this point you can serve the ribs as they are, cutting into serving portions. Or, heat a grill and grill the ribs for a short time slathering with your favorite BBQ sauce, then enjoy the ribs. Either way, you are in for a treat.

CJ's tip: Don't discard the beer jus and onions, they are wonderful to use in a soup, or to use as the liquid for cooking rice or other grains. Also, with a slotted spoon remove the onions; roughly chop and set aside. Reduce the beer/pork jus by half, return the onions to the sauce and serve with the ribs.

Source: This dish is a takeoff of a recipe from Bon Appetit 2005 that just called for playing with.

And, here is the original -
shoot, I can't find the original thread, so here's the recipe I have in M.C.

BROWN SUGAR & BOURBON RIBS

Recipe By :a Chef's Journey via Bon Appetit, July '05
Serving Size : 4

BASTING SAUCE:
1/2 c packed golden brown sugar
1/2 c apple butter
1/4 c bourbon whiskey
1/4 c apple cider vinegar
3 T. apple cider
2 T. Dijon mustard
RIBS:
1 T. coarse kosher salt
1 T. packed golden brown sugar
1 1/2 tsps dry mustard
1 1/2 tsps dried thyme
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 2-2 1/4 lb. racks baby back pork ribs
---------
1 lg onion, sliced
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
6 thin rounds peeled fresh ginger
1 1/4 c apple cider

FOR BASTING SAUCE:
Whisk all ingred. in medium bowl to blend.

FOR RIBS:
Mix first 7 ingred. in small bowl.
Using small sharp knife, loosen membrane from underside of each rib rack & pull off (or score membrane).
Rub 1 T. seasoning mix into each side of each rib rack.
Place ribs in large roasting pan.
Cover & chill at least 6 hours and up to 1 day.

Preheat oven to 325° F.
Lift ribs from pan.
Scatter onion, cinnamon stick, & ginger in pan.
Pour in Cider.
Return ribs, meat side down, to pan; cover pan with foil.
Roast ribs till meat is tender and begins to pull away from bones, about 2 hours.
Uncover; cool at lease 30 minutes and up to 2 hours. (I left longer before using)

Prepare barbecue (med-high heat).
Grill ribs, till heated thru and slightly charred, about 5 min. per side.
Brush generously on all sides with basting sauce.
Grill till sauce becomes sticky glaze, about 3 min. longer per side.
Transfer rib racks to cutting board.
Cut racks tween bones into individual ribs.
Arrange on platter and serve, passing remaining sauce separately.

O.K. - I could not stand to throw the wonderful 'goop' in the bottom of the roasting pan away, so -
I strained the juice and added enuf more cider to make 2 cups. Reduce to ~ 1/2 cup to a nice syrupy sauce.
Pick the cinnamon stick pcs. and ginger pcs. out of the onion and saute the onions till just starting to caramelize.
I served the ribs with no more basting sauce, but topped with the onions and drizzled the reduction over all.
IT IS WONDERFUL!!

Description:
"Be sure to remove the membrane on the underside of the ribs so that the seasonings can penetrate & fully flavor the meat."
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Reviews - a Couple cjs So, here is the revi...
Brown Sugar & Beer Ribs w/Apple Butter BBQ Sauce

[Image: Mae2912BrSugarBeerBribs.jpg]

Wow, was this tasty - wish I could say the same for the mac & cheese. I just don't like cheddar cheese in my m&c. too grainy.

Just one word of warning with the bbq sauce, I'm going to change the time to simmer the sauce from 15 to 20 minutes to maybe 5 to 8 minutes. It thickened up quite a bit, not objectionable, but if you llike a thinner sauce.....
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Reviews - a Couple cjs Brown Sugar & Beer R...
This looks and sounds wonderful! I do love me some good ribs! I'm saving this one for Easter!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Reviews - a Couple Gourmet_Mom This looks and sound...
That looks heavenly.
  Reviews - a Couple cjs Maryann was talking ...
Quote:

Maryann was talking about AppleButter BBQ sauce the other day and this made me go looking. Found a recipe to try and made it this a.m. - Really good. Just the right amount of heat and just yummy finger tasting...

Her instructions were a little convoluted, so I simplified them a tad.

Apple Butter BBQ Sauce - food.com recipe

1 cup smucker's cider apple butter (or your own)
½ cup ketchup
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
3 teaspoons liquid smoke (I started with 2 tsps. but tastng it, I added the last tsp. - good result)
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
½ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
½ teaspoon minced garlic (I used a medium clove)
½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
½ teaspoon paprika

Add all the ingrdients in a medium saucepan and bring just to a boil over medium heat; reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.

Blogger's Note: Store it however you wish. It should keep in the fridge for 30 days, in a freezer for longer, or just can it.

I'm going to use this on one of the rib dishes. The Brown Sugar & Bourbon Ribs recipe that so many of us love, I worked with yesterday and found that tasting them after adding the rub, roasting with onions and a beer (instead of the apple cider vinegar and cinnamon) for 1 1/2 hours - then tasting - Wow, what a great and easy flavored rib dish.

The other half I'll grill today with some of the applebutter bbq sauce.

Just wanted to add my two cents here, with the changes that I made to this recipe.

1. Left out the kosher salt as I didn't think that it needed any.

2. Increased apple cider vinegar from 1 tsp. to 1 T. to make it a little more "tangy"

3. Did not "pack" the brown sugar as I was afraid that it would be too sweet. The sauce that I purchase from Mapleside is a little less sweet than Ron's favorite Sweet Baby Ray's, and just perfect for my taste.

4. After the sauce cooled, I whirled it in the blender to smooth out the minced onion.

Then, I decided it was pretty near perfect!
Maryann

Re: Reviews - a Couple Mare749 [blockquote]Quote:[h...
Sounds great - how long did you cook it and did you find it too thin??
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Reviews - a Couple cjs Sounds great - how l...
Jean this discussion made me realize something I have missed in all the times I have made these ribs - the baste: apple cider VINEGAR! Why did I never read past the "apple cider"???
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Reviews - a Couple cjs Sounds great - how l...
Quote:

Sounds great - how long did you cook it and did you find it too thin??

Jean, I cooked the onions down slowly for at least 20 minutes before adding them to the sauce, then simmered the sauce for another 20 minutes. I thought the sauce was a bit thick, so I think 10 minutes would be enough.

I'm going to experiment with this recipe a few more times, possibly leaving out the ketchup next time and just use the apple butter.

BTW, the ribs we had tonight were delicious.
Maryann

Reviews - a Couple