This happened to a friend of a friend of Holly's, also a teacher, who happened to have a small group of students with her yesterday for some kind of end-of-the-year party at Huntington Beach, on Lake Erie. They were all wading in shallow water when the teacher saw one of the kids go under.

She went after the girl, but the undertow took her as well.
A man was nearby who had just gotten out of the water with his son and saw what was happening. He went in after both of them, while others went to get the lifeguards who were just coming on duty. The man was able to rescue the girl, but couldn't reach the teacher. It took 7 lifeguards to pull her out of the water, and while this was going on, one of the lifeguards got exhausted and had to be rescued as well!

The teacher had been under water for 20 minutes and her heart had stopped. They were able to get her heart going again, but she has been in intensive care and her organs are shutting down. The 9 year old girl was also taken to the hospital and she is fine.

I know we all hear a number of these stories every summer, but this one just hit kind of close to home. My own daughter is a teacher, and her daughter is 9 years old. Just wanted to tell this story as a reminder for all of us to never swim in an area without lifeguards on duty, and always pay attention to the posted danger signs. And be sure to hug your loved ones tonight.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

VOT but just needed to share this Mare749 This happened to a f...
Oh, Maryann, that is so sad, I hope she pulls thru after all
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: VOT but just needed to share this farnfam Oh, Maryann, that is...
I've been hoping the same thing, Cis, but she is not expected to recover. They said she had 72 hrs. at most. So sad.
Maryann

VOT but just needed to share this Mare749 This happened to a f...
OMG! That is so sad! Prayers for the teacher and her family!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: VOT but just needed to share this Harborwitch OMG! That is so sad...
That is sad way to get a great reminder. With it being so hot everywhere folks are seeking respite in areas they should not be.

I do hope the young lady recovers as well as the teacher. Miracles do happen and let's hope for one now.
  Re: VOT but just needed to share this Harborwitch OMG! That is so sad...
What a tragic thing to happen! My prayers are for all! The teacher and her family as well as all the children. This will mark them for life!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: VOT but just needed to share this Gourmet_Mom What a tragic thing ...
Sadly, the teacher did pass away this morning. On a positive note, everyone else involved in the rescue is fine. Be safe everyone.
Maryann

Re: VOT but just needed to share this Mare749 Sadly, the teacher d...
Oh my, hated to read this. What a tragic, tragic thing to happen. Can you imagine living with that as the little girl's family will have to?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: VOT but just needed to share this cjs Oh my, hated to read...
So sorry to hear this. It happens all too often.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: VOT but just needed to share this labradors So sorry to hear thi...
This is so tragic. All families have my prayers. I can't imagine the devastation and grief suffered by all involved.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
VOT but just needed to share this