I know Maryann made the a while back and she mentions she would add more carrots. I made this today and we just loved it. The only change I made was to use 3/4 lb. of pork cut in nice bite-size pieces instead of 1 1/2 lbs. of 2" pieces. It was plenty of meat. I'm not a big apple fan (in savory dishes), so didn't add the diced apple for garnish, but did use the apple juice.

[Image: PorkShroomStewJuly26.jpg]

I will certainly make this again - Issue #83, Oct. 2010, page 9
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Issue #83 Review - Pork & Mushroom Stew cjs I know Maryann made ...
I'll be sure to mark that one. Too hot around here for that right now.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Issue #83 Review - Pork & Mushroom Stew Gourmet_Mom I'll be sure to mark...
I've made this 4 or 5 times now. Love it over mashed potatoes.

Re: Issue #83 Review - Pork & Mushroom Stew Trixxee I've made this 4 or ...
That is a really delicious recipe. I'm with Daphne on waiting until cooler weather to make it again. I'm with you too Trixxee, excellent with mashed potatoes with some broth added to the bowl.

Re: Issue #83 Review - Pork & Mushroom Stew losblanos1 That is a really del...
That was a good one, Jean. We usually prefer soup and stew type dishes in the cooler weather, but once in a while, have one anyway and just crank up the a/c.

Interesting that you brought up an older recipe just now. I've been planning to go through old issues and start making the many dishes that I have bookmarked.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Issue #83 Review - Pork & Mushroom Stew Mare749 That was a good one,...
Maryann, I have so many post-its sticking out of my older magazines, that I decided to look at some of them, too.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Issue #83 Review - Pork & Mushroom Stew cjs Maryann, I have so m...
That looks like a dish we would love. Too bad I don't have the recipe.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: Issue #83 Review - Pork & Mushroom Stew Lorraine That looks like a di...
you shall have it tomorrow a.m., MS!!

Here you go Lorraine - this really is tasty, fast and easy to put together for a fast dinner.

Pork & Mushroom Stew – C@H, Issue #83

1 T. olive oil
1 T. unsalted butter
1 1/2 lbs. pork tenderloin, trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces, dried with paper towels, seasoned with salt & pepper (I used only 3/4 lb. and cut in bite-size pieces – it was plenty!)
4 oz. crimini mushrooms, quartered
1/2 cup sliced leeks or shallots
1/2 cup diced carrot (1 carrot)
2 T. all-purpose flour
1/4 cup dry sherry or white wine
3/4 cup apple cider or juice
3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 T. minced fresh thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
Diced Granny Smith apple
Fresh thyme sprigs

Het oil and butter in a sauté pan over med-high heat. Add pork and sauté until brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Remove pork to a plate; set aside.

Sweat mushrooms, leeks, and carrot in same pan over medium heat until softened, 3 to 4 min. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute.

Deglaze the pan with sherry, scraping up any bits on bottom of pan, and reduce until evaporated. Stir in cider and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to med-low. Add pork with residual juices and 1 T. thyme. Simmer stew until thickened, 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.

Serve with Apple-Potato Mash. Garnish each serving with diced apple and a sprig of thyme.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Issue #83 Review - Pork & Mushroom Stew cjs you shall have it to...
It's recipes like this that make me look forward to fall rather than semi-dreading it (ie - homework, worrying about Michael at school, etc.). There were a couple of kids that were being slightly bullyish to Michael on the last day that is just sort of making me a bit apprehensive.

Crazy, I know. Everything will be fine. I'll make sure of it as best I can. But I will be looking forward to some fallish meals.

Re: Issue #83 Review - Pork & Mushroom Stew Trixxee It's recipes like th...
Thanks, Jean!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Issue #83 Review - Pork & Mushroom Stew