• 1 cup hazelnuts
• 12 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
• 2 tablespoons mild vegetable oil, such as canola
• 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
• 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 3/4 teaspoon salt, more or less depending upon your preference

• 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C).

• 2. Spread the hazelnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast them in the oven for about 12 minutes, until they’ve browned a little and the skins are blistered a little. Wrap them in a kitchen towel and rub vigorously to remove as much loose skin as possible. (Some skin will cling to the nuts when you’re done. It’s okay—not to mention inevitable.) Let cool completely.

• 3. Melt the chocolate in a saucepan over gently simmering water or in the microwave. Stir until smooth. Let cool completely.

• 4. In a food processor, grind the hazelnuts until they form a paste. Add the oil, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt and continue processing until the mixture is as smooth as possible–or as smooth as you like. Add the melted chocolate, blend well, and then strain the mixture to remove any chunks of hazelnut that remain. The resulting homemade Nutella will be thin and somewhat runny and maybe even a little warm but it will thicken as it cools. Scrape your homemade nutella into a jar or other resealable container and let it cool to room temperature. Cover the container after snitching several spoonfuls. The nutella will keep on the counter for up to 2 weeks. (Hah!)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Ready For This? Making Nutella at Home cjs This would certainly...
Yep. Definitely need a Surgeon General's warning for this.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Ready For This? Making Nutella at Home labradors Yep. Definitely nee...
Are you nuts! I will now run, not walk away!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Ready For This? Making Nutella at Home Gourmet_Mom Are you nuts! I wil...
Quote:

Are you nuts!

Yes: filberts.

Re: Ready For This? Making Nutella at Home labradors [blockquote]Quote:[h...
This is great no milk! Being lactose intolerant I can't eat the regular Nutella because its made with skim milk. I so have to try this

Re: Ready For This? Making Nutella at Home DFen911 This is great no mil...
If you can't have milk, can you have milk chocolate?

Re: Ready For This? Making Nutella at Home Cubangirl If you can't have mi...
OUCH!!!

And I just found Nutella on the shelves---GEESH!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy

Re: Ready For This? Making Nutella at Home Roxanne 21 OUCH!!! [img]/ubbt...
I can and just it in moderation

Re: Ready For This? Making Nutella at Home DFen911 I can and just it in...
Denise, I wonder how THIS would work using soy, milk or nut milk as a substitute for milk.

Re: Ready For This? Making Nutella at Home labradors Denise, I wonder how...
Okay. What's a good price for hazelnuts in the States?

I found some, today, in an import store, for $4.50/lb, where other nuts (e.g. walnuts) were at least three times that. Now, is that actually a GOOD price, or are the a lot less in the States? If it's any good, it looks as though I'll be rolling in Nutella!

The one other question upon which this may hinge is how much does this recipe YIELD? Another way to look at it would be: how many batches of this recipe would be needed to fill one of 13-oz. jars (or how many of those jars would one batch fill)?

Oops! One more question. The recipe just says "1 cup hazelnuts," which makes it sound like WHOLE hazelnuts. After the roasting, however, it refers to the skins, but never to the shells. What's not clear is whether the measured amount is for "1 cup WHOLE hazelnuts" which must be shelled before roasting or "1 cup SHELLED hazelnuts." This would also drastically affect the yield and the cost.

Thanks.
Ready For This? Making Nutella at Home