Hi all. I got three Persimmons in my produce box. I have never had one/used one. Does anyone have any ideas on this one? Good recipes? Do you just eat them? They are Fuyu Persimmons.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.

Persimmons esgunn Hi all. I got three...
If you can refrain from eating them as a snack....I'd suggest adding them to a salad or in a sauce like cranberries. But they are a special treat around here, so eating them raw would be how we would eat them....or in a frozen drink or sherbet. Although, I seem to remember William talking about a pie? Then there is the idea of infusing them in tea.....YUM!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Persimmons Gourmet_Mom If you can refrain f...
Wow, been a lot of years since I've thought about and hated persimmons!! We had a big tree when the kids were growing up and because I only made cookies with them, there were always loads on the ground getting more and more mushy.

That's when my kids would have persimmon fights. I'd have to hose them off before they could get to the bathtub. yuck!

I think all I used them for because they weren't our favorite fruit was cookies and bar cookies. Have no recipe anymore, tho.

On second thought, a few years ago I did do a gastrique with some that we must have been given. a recipe from Kelly Johnson.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Persimmons cjs Wow, been a lot of y...
I always used to make this for our Christmas open house for my toy store and they were always a hit. I really enjoyed them. Here it is in case you'd like to try them.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

PERSIMMON COOKIES Servings: 8

Dates or figs may be substituted for the raisins. Almonds or hazelnuts can be subbed for the walnuts.

Oven Temperature: 350°F

Preparation:30 minutes Cooking:15 minutes Inactive:15 minutes Total Time: 1 hour

3/4 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 cup persimmon pulp
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
34 tsp. ground cardamom
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 cup persimmon pulp (about 2)
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
34 tsp. ground cardamom
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Skin persimmons and remove pulp. Add baking soda to the pulp. Combine flour with nuts and spices.

Cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Add eggs and mix well, Add pulp and mix. Add flour mixture and mix well.

Drop by teasponfuls onto parchment covered baking sheets. Bake at 350°F for 12-15 minutes.

Cool on rack and store in tin.

Recipe Type: ALINA'S ADAPTATION, Cookies, Desserts, Walnuts

Author: MINE

Re: Persimmons Cubangirl I always used to mak...
Alina, you might need to edit your recipe. It looks like the ingredients are listed twice.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Persimmons Mare749 Alina, you might nee...
Hey! I had that happen to one of my L.C. recipes......
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Persimmons cjs Hey! I had that happ...
Sorry I entered this right before I went to sleep this morning. I just looked at LC and I entered the original at 4:00am. Lesson learned don't mess with recipes right before going to sleep.

Re: Persimmons Cubangirl Sorry I entered this...
Never, ever had a persimmon in my life. I had to look it up. I was thinking kumkwat, which I hate. Hmmmm, more of a tomato-like creature...
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
Persimmons