My friend and I are planning on making Lefse this weekend. Neither of us have ever made it. I have heard that it is really difficult, so I am a bit leary.

I have a Lefse stick (thanks Roy and Jean) and a flat griddle for pancakes. Is it okay to use this type of griddle?

My friend has a lefse roller and surface.

We are each making our own dough. Can we make it ahead and refrigerate it, or is it better to make it the day you are going to grill them?

Any tips, tricks, or equipment we need to complete our project?

Can you use a tortilla press for the lefse? I read this on one website.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Lefse - Has any here made lefse? luvnit My friend and I are ...
Well, naturally you're doing this when I'm not home with my notes, Laura!! Yes I've made Lefse for years and no, it isn't the least bit hard!!!

I don't know if you have a Chef's Journey...Home, but my grandmother's Lefse recipe is in there. Yes, a dry griddle works perfectly.

Here you go - this is my grandmother's -
------
My grandma made lefse for the family all my life and for years before that! I don't know how she kept up with us when the whole family was around her huge round kitchen table, soft butter and the sugar dish in front of us just waiting as the lefse came off her old wood stove. I know we must have eaten faster than she could cook them. My niece, Lynnie, also remembers waiting in line with her seven cousins trying to get her fill of Lefse as my generation took over the cooking! When serving lefse to her family, when they were small, my Grandma would prepare a huge stack and serve with potato soup when her children came in from sledding.

Mom Shelledy’s Lefse

5 large white potatoes (she called them the ‘mushy’ type – Russets)
2 cups sweet cream, half & half or milk
1 tsp. salt
3 T. butter
Flour as needed for rolling out the lefse

Boil potatoes until tender. Mash them finely with the cream, salt and butter. Add flour just until workable (the dough will be fairly dry, but it will stay together to be rolled out). Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.

Roll the dough out into ropes and cut into 1” chunks. Roll each chunk into thin circles to look similar to a flour tortilla.

Heat a dry griddle (cast iron is best) to about 400°F. Place a circle of lefse on the griddle and cook until brown spots appear on the heated surface. Flip and cook the same way on the other side.

Place between paper towels while cooking the rest of the lefse.

CJ’s tip: Some folks like just butter, my family always smeared the softened butter over and topped with a sprinkling of granulated sugar; others add a sprinkling of cinnamon. Fold twice or roll into a cylinder. Eat and enjoy.
I remember the warm butter running down my forearms when I was little.

-----------
and, this is what it should look like -

[Image: LEFSE.jpg]

"Mom" Shelledy used to cut each one into pie shape pieces and we would then slather butter and sugar and roll it up or you can eat them whole.

Make ahead? I don't know, I've always allocated the Lefse day just for that from start to finish. Can't help you there. But, please rememeber they are not hard at all!

Have fun and I so wish I was closer to help eat them. Another idea for you this is the time of year Norwegians have Lutefisk Dinners and Lefse is always served. You might look for community offerings and see if there is a Sons of Norway in your area. Lots of the women will have so much information for you.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Lefse - Has any here made lefse? cjs Well, naturally you'...
That is perfect Jean! Great information. I wish you were here too! I will try to take a few pics of this. It should be fun!
Laura
  Re: Lefse - Has any here made lefse? cjs Well, naturally you'...
Oh, so they're a potato pancake-type thing! How do you pronounce it?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.

Re: Lefse - Has any here made lefse? BarbaraS Oh, so they're a pot...
It is a very, very thin potato crepe ish thing. Pronounced (lef-SAH).
Laura

Re: Lefse - Has any here made lefse? luvnit It is a very, very t...
I was going to ask about the tortilla press too. Hmmmmm?
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Lefse - Has any here made lefse? Harborwitch I was going to ask a...
Have never tried the tortilla press - don't see why it wouldn't work.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Lefse - Has any here made lefse? cjs Have never tried the...
Well, my friend and I will give it a try and report back!

My thought was that if it wasn't thin enough... just roll it out with the rolling pin after that. I will let you know.
Laura

Re: Lefse - Has any here made lefse? luvnit Well, my friend and ...
You want them about the thickness of a flour tortilla. Maybe a tad thinner.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Lefse - Has any here made lefse? cjs You want them about ...
I was told it was a bit thinner than a tortilla. We will have to experiment.
Laura
Lefse - Has any here made lefse?