What's om the menu for today for everyone?

I'm smoking a half section of pork ribs - with no rub except s&p before I put it in the smoker. Have not done this before. I'm also smoking the ketchup for the bourbon BBQ sauce for 2 hours along with the ribs. Sounds so good. In fact, I'm doing 2 bowls of ketchup. I found a new product (for me, anyway) the other day, ketchup with balsamic. So I'll do it and also one with just regular ketchup.

Also, I have got to mention the shrimp I fixed yesterday for a kind of surf & turf - some on you have this recipe (at least the testers had it) for my Nobu-Style Halibut??

[Image: July9Nobu-StyleShrimpT-Boneandgrilledtat...1d0db3.jpg]

I used the marindade on the shrimp for 2 hours, then grilled them brushing more on the shrimp - plus brusing the potato planks with the marinade also. Oh wow, the shrimp were fantastic - the sweetness of the shrimp just popped and a slight glaze to them. Oh my - my halibut may never see this marinade again...

And, this was our snack later - YUM!
[Image: July9Charcuteriedinnercloseup_zpsb78af6a4.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

What's for Wednesday's Dinner, 7/10/13?? cjs What's om the menu f...
Looks great Jean!

We are finally having the buffalo dogs and either sweet potato (frozen), tater tots or homemade fries if I can get my russets through my fry cutter. I may have to pare them down to make it work.
  What's for Wednesday's Dinner, 7/10/13?? cjs What's om the menu f...
"Also, I have got to mention the shrimp I fixed yesterday for a kind of surf & turf - some on you have this recipe (at least the testers had it) for my Nobu-Style Halibut??" Curious about this one.

In my quest to spend as much time outside as possible, I came up with a new plan yesterday....cold salads. Make it early in the day and enjoy the afternoon in the sun! I felt so silly when it hit me. Why haven't I already been doing this? So today I'm starting simple with chicken salad. My bird is in the pot now.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: What's for Wednesday's Dinner, 7/10/13?? Gourmet_Mom "Also, I have got to...
Jean, that shrimp looks so good, and what a great idea to use the marinade in that way. I am one of the lucky ones who has the recipe for that marinade and still use it. In fact, I just bought the ingredients for it.

I got a taste for chili even though it's summer. So, I made it this morning and put it in the crockpot. Will probably grill some hotdogs to go with it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: What's for Wednesday's Dinner, 7/10/13?? Mare749 Jean, that shrimp lo...
What marinade? Those shrimp look wonderful Jean - is that the Zep bread.

We had leftover chicken, Queen of Sheba Salad, and couscous last night - I was tired, hot, and didn't feel really good. So tonight could be the Buffalo Dogs or a Korean marinated London Broil with stir fried noodles & cabbage. I'll see how the day goes. "The Big Guy" is home so I have no idea.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: What's for Wednesday's Dinner, 7/10/13?? Harborwitch What marinade? Thos...
Ya, on the left is stuffed with kalamata, rstd. garlic and feta and next to it is the Zep bread. We pigged out on both and of course the shrimp and leftover corn & feta dip.

Daphne, here is the recipe - rough draft of it and the highlighted area are subs to test for those who might not be able to get the Asian ingred. Haven't done them yet.

Nobu-Style Marinated Halibut (or other whitefish)

Menu:
Nobu-Style Marinated Halibut
Maque Choux

You can use this marinade on any whitefish. Sake is a Japanese rice wine, mirin is a low-alcohol, sweet wine and adds a sweetness and flavor to dishes, and miso is a bean paste ~ all are readily available at supermarkets.
(sub for sake - Shaoxing wine (not as smooth and sweet) OR vermouth (dry) OR white wine OR sherry (dry)

4 portions of Halibut (5 oz. each), patted dry
1/4 cup Sake or rice wine
1/4 cup mirin
1/4 cup white miso
2 T. granulated sugar

Combine the sake, mirin, miso and sugar; whisk until miso and sugar is dissolved. Place the halibut portions in a sealable plastic bag and pour the marinade over. Seal the bag; place on a plate and refrigerate for about 4 hours, turning every hour or so.

Turn grill on high heat. When ready, remove the fillets from the marinade and place on grill; grill, covered, for 4 minutes on just one side. Have ready near the grill, a double thickness of foil which has been oiled or sprayed with cooking spray. With a spatula, remove the fillets from the grill and place on the foil, grilled side up. Fold over the edges of the foil so it makes a little ‘pan.’ With the spatula, lift the salmon ‘pan’ onto the grill and continue grilling, covered, for 4 more minutes.

Check the internal temperature and if it has reached 140° F. remove from grill. If you don’t have an instant read thermometer, gently cut into the center of the fish and if the fish is no longer opaque, it is done. Makes 4 portions.

--------

But, it may go in the book with the shrimp instead - it's just delicious.

[Image: July9Nobu-StyleShrimpT-Boneandgrilledtat...1d0db3.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: What's for Wednesday's Dinner, 7/10/13?? cjs Ya, on the left is s...
What did you change on the Zep bread?
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: What's for Wednesday's Dinner, 7/10/13?? Harborwitch What did you change ...
Thanks, Jean. I need to see if I still have that miso paste. I cleaned out the fridge recently and may have thrown it out. But I WILL be trying it!
Daphne

Re: What's for Wednesday's Dinner, 7/10/13?? Gourmet_Mom Thanks, Jean. I nee...
Sharon, I just kneaded it (a little) to half a batch of 18-hour bread that I already had going. Worked great. Although, I'll use a little less filling next time because the dough is much softer than using w.w. flour also.

Daphne, here's a link I found yesterday to see if my miso was still good - and I'm keeping it. It's a great resource.

http://stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/18733
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: What's for Wednesday's Dinner, 7/10/13?? cjs Sharon, I just knead...
Cool sight, Jean! I've bookmarked it also! And I guess I'm buying fresh! LOL!
Daphne
What's for Wednesday's Dinner, 7/10/13??