So, last night I was perusing The BBQ Bible by Steven Raichlen and saw a picture of how to cook shrimp without a grate. This method is especially good when you are using a marinade or glaze because then you won't lose any because it sticks to the grate.

The picture shows a small charcoal fire with a brick on each side that is raised about 2" high than the charcoal. The shrimp are put on metal skewers and laid across the bricks. This was such a "duh" moment for me. We see this all the time on TV shows from other countries, yet it never occured to me to do it myself for any type of kebob.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

grilling shrimp method Mare749 So, last night I was...
I've seen that method in that book, Maryann and I think I did it, but with a goopy chicken wing batch. You know the 'new' way of skewering the wing where it is completely stretched out?

I'm also going to play with these fire bricks and cook a pizza directly on them and see how that works... little O.T.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: grilling shrimp method cjs I've seen that metho...
Are special bricks necessary?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: grilling shrimp method Gourmet_Mom Are special bricks n...
I picked up fire bricks, Daphne. $1.77 each

but

when I grilled per Maryann's idea I only had regular bricks that I covered with foil - worked o.k.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: grilling shrimp method cjs I picked up fire bri...
Good to know! What I want to find is a large screen with handles, preferably. That would help with Korean beef tremendously. Every basket I've tried has openings somewhere that allows the strips to escape.
Daphne

Re: grilling shrimp method Gourmet_Mom Good to know! What ...
I bet Roy could invent something that would work.
Maryann

Re: grilling shrimp method Gourmet_Mom Good to know! What ...
I use one of these, unless I want grill marks.

[Image: grillskewerholder_zps00ffa892.jpg]

Re: grilling shrimp method losblanos1 I use one of these, ...
I love that! Where did you find it, Blane?
Maryann

Re: grilling shrimp method Mare749 I love that! Where d...
That's really cool, Blane! I think I may be able to do two of the wings on there and a PILE of shrimp!

That would be cool, Maryann! William isn't great with that kind of thing, but he or his friend should be able to recreate it. If it makes a difference, my grates run horizontal to the front of the grill. But I have no idea what material? In the case of the Korean Beef, I would want to be able to preheat it.
Daphne
  Re: grilling shrimp method Mare749 I love that! Where d...
Quote:

I love that! Where did you find it, Blane?

I think I bought it at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2...er+%2Caps%2C193
grilling shrimp method