Some friends invited us for dinner on Saturday evening, and this was one of the appetizers that Joanne made. Ron loved it so much that I had to make it for him today so he could take a couple in his lunch. There is a lot of cheese, but they are really good. Next time I might cut back on the cheese a bit just to make them a little healthier.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Spinach Bars

3 tablespoons butter
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
1 small onion -- chopped
4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 package frozen chopped spinach -- (10 ounce) thawed and drained

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Melt butter in a 9x13 inch baking dish while the oven preheats.

In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, flour, salt, pepper, baking powder and garlic until well blended. Add the mushrooms, spinach and cheese, and stir to blend evenly. Tip the baking dish to coat with melted butter, then pour the spinach mixture into the pan.

Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until firm and golden. Cut into bars, and serve warm.

S(Internet Address):
"http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spinach-Bars/Detail.aspx"
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Spinach Bars Mare749 Some friends invited...
These look great Maryann. I was in the mood for spinach today too it's one of my favorite vegetables
Do these come out like a finger food or do you need a plate and fork to eat them?
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Spinach Bars farnfam These look great Mar...
I think my mom used to eat these for breakfast when she was trying to low carb it.

Re: Spinach Bars Trixxee I think my mom used ...
Cis, if you eat them while they are warm from the oven, they will still be too soft to just pick up, but after they cool, they are more like a bar and can be handheld. They are good both ways.

Joanne cut them into bars and layered them on a plate. At serving time, she just put the whole plate in the microwave for a minute to warm them up.

Ron put some sriracha on top and liked it that way too.
Maryann

Re: Spinach Bars Mare749 Cis, if you eat them...
Sounds like some "squares" I used to do catering.will dig out the recipe and compare. They sound tasty.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Spinach Bars cjs Sounds like some "sq...
That sounds really good, Maryann! Thanks for sharing! Wonder how they would be with Mozzarella or Swiss?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Spinach Bars Gourmet_Mom That sounds really g...
Thanks for posting this. I am trying to move us from meat every night, so I can't wait to make it this week. I've changed it a bit to make it healthier and if it works, I'll post the changes. I think it would be great with Swiss or even a combo of cheeses. I have a Baby Spinach Salad with Dates and Almonds that I think would be make a great combo with this.

Re: Spinach Bars Cubangirl Thanks for posting t...
Quote:

Sounds like some "squares" I used to do catering

Sounds like the ones I used to make back in the 80's that I had forgotten about. They were great. Thanks for the reminder!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: Spinach Bars Lorraine [blockquote]Quote:[...
Yes, I have a feeling this recipe has been around for a good long time, especially with the amount of cheese in it, and the 3 T. of butter. I'm going to try it without the butter next time and use 1/3 less cheese.

Forgot to mention, I didn't have cheddar, so used Colby/Jack. Since this is similar to a quiche, any kind of melty cheese would work.
Maryann

Re: Spinach Bars Mare749 Yes, I have a feelin...
Sounds great! I may use Gruyere and add a little serrano for spice and heat!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
Spinach Bars