When we were in Antigua we had black beans as a side in a restaurant. They were very good and very flavorful with seasonings I could not identify. Jean or Labs do you have a recipe for Guatamalan black. beans? They really were delicious and unique. Richly umamic.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".

Guatamalan Black Beans Old Bay When we were in Anti...
I'm off to look!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Guatamalan Black Beans cjs I'm off to look! [im...
Yeah. The Guatemalans tend to use black beans more than the red beans that are used in Honduras. I haven't really looked for a recipe, yet, but I'm sure I could find something. Do you remember the name of the restaurant? That may be good to know in case they vary from the standard recipe at all.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Guatamalan Black Beans labradors Yeah. The Guatemala...
Bill, I've been looking around and I found a Guatemalan gal who has written a blog about her food. I have a book about Caribbean Islands and surrounding, but no Guatemalan Black Beans.

Guatemalan Black Beans: Part I

Wooohoo, I feel so technical.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Guatamalan Black Beans cjs Bill, I've been look...
Guatemalan black beans resemble Cuban ones. They have onions, garlic and bay leaves and may add sweet bell peppers and sometimes coriander instead of cumin or oregano. May have a splash of vinegar used at the end. Usually made in a pc as are Cuban ones. Guatemalans also love cinnamon so it is possible the dish you had might have had a sprinkling of it. Usually no hot chiles. Did it remind you of any other dishes with similar flavor profile?

Re: Guatamalan Black Beans Cubangirl Guatemalan black bea...
I'll start with the easy, quick links and describe more afterwards. Check out Guatemalan Black Beans: Part I and Guatemalan Black Beans: Part II. These are written in English by a Guatemalan woman now living in the U.S. (apparently upstate NY) and they pretty much agree with what I read on Spanish-language sites from Guatemala.

Now for a little more detail: According to the blog Chapina Hasta el Hueso (literally, "Guatemalan to the bone"), written (in Spanish) by a Guatemalan woman now living in Uruguay, there are three main ways that black beans are served in Guatemala.

The first is "Parados" or whole (literally "standing"). For these, you chop up and brown an onion, then cook the beans in that (she doesn't give more details or an actual recipe, but the first link, above, covers that). She also says that some people use olive oil, some use chiles, and so on.

The second is "Colados" or strained (a few other sites referred to these as "Licuados or "liquefied" - i.e. puréed in a blender). She says, "Since mothers usually use a pressure cooker to make four pounds [of beans at a time], after three days, the charm of the whole beans wears off, so you proceed to the second stage: put the beans into the blender, throw in a little water and out come the frijoles colados. They may also go through the process of frying with some browned onions and eating them, puréed and very smooth, with French bread and lots of crema or topped with Quesito de Zacapa (a dry, Parmesan-like cheese), onions and parsley."

The third is "Volteados" or refried (literally "turned"). She says, "Then, just when it seems absurd still to be eating beans, mother masterfully spends three hours in the kitchen, turning and flipping, then brings out to us a tray with a maleta (literally "suitcase" - just what they colloquially call the log shape in which the beans are presented) of refried beans. For me, this is the most delicious stage of the beans. You eat these with queso fresco, and fried plantains on the side."

As I said, this represents the basics and everything else I found agreed with the above and is covered in the two English-language links at the beginning of this post. Otherwise, there were only a few minor differences, such as whether or not to use garlic, one that suggested adding some adobo seasoning, and others saying to add other spices according to your taste.

P.S.: Just called the owner of the hotel where I stay in Guatemala to let him know that I won't be able to go there next month. While I had him on the line, I asked about the black beans and he said that what everyday people usually make is just with onions, garlic and salt. Of course, in a restaurant, they may jazz it up a bit, so I can't say what you may have had at the restaurant, but the links above do give the basics accurately.

Re: Guatamalan Black Beans labradors I'll start with the ...
Wow, Labs, Black Beans 101Smile Very interesting reading!

PJ
PJ

Re: Guatamalan Black Beans pjcooks Wow, Labs, Black Bea...
Is that the same one I posted?
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Guatamalan Black Beans cjs Is that the same one...
Actually, Jean, the first one is. I had just done all my research and had missed a couple of the forum messages. The second link I posted is "Part II" from the same site (for the refried part).

Good stuff, either way.
  Re: Guatamalan Black Beans labradors Yeah. The Guatemala...
Quote:

Yeah. The Guatemalans tend to use black beans more than the red beans that are used in Honduras. I haven't really looked for a recipe, yet, but I'm sure I could find something. Do you remember the name of the restaurant? That may be good to know in case they vary from the standard recipe at all.

Thanks to everybody! I'm digesting all this. Labs the restaurant was in the hotel Posada de Don Rodrigo. We were on a self guided walking tour and our leader said it was a good place to eat. I will get back with you all. Really interesting.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
Guatamalan Black Beans