My cousin came over for dinner yesterday and brought an apple crisp for dessert. It really was delicious and then she hit me between the eyes with....."I made it in the microwave"!!! ????? Really?

Then, my mind went to - well of course a lot of people use the microwave for more things than defrosting, heating a cup of coffee or melting butter! And, I have never put one recipe in a cookbook using this method.

What better book than On The Road cooking???? So, I'm thinking I really have to add a few to this first one, even tho it is basically done.

My S.O.S. is can anyone offer up some recipes that I can add to the book to include this method. Last minute, but if I can add a few, I think they are needed.

Thanks again, for the help you all give.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Sending Out An S.O.S. cjs My cousin came over ...
I am no help here. We ditched our microwave about 5 years ago. Hardest part? No coffee re-heats, melting butter and chocolate. (and those sad moments when you really want microwave popcorn!) Beyond that, we barely notice it is gone. I do notice the extra counter space though!

Re: Sending Out An S.O.S. jodybarnett I am no help here. W...
I'll look some us for you Jean. My mom after she turned 85 used only her pressure cooker, the microwave and her toaster oven to cook. She made rice, pasta fish, veggies etc. I make 6 layer bars in my microwave instead of the oven. I toast my nuts and coconut sometimes. I've also made really good brownies. Start potatoes and parsnips to use in recipes as well. I like my meat medium, so I have Steve grill my steaks to medium rare and freeze them, then cook them frozen for 1 to 2 minutes in the microwave, so I can have steak whenever I crave one.

I should note that I have a huge and high watt Panansonic Inverter that can hold a 9"X13" on the round turntable.
Like you, I don't use the micro for much cooking. Seems like we mostly use it for re-heating. However, I do like it for a few things like baked potatoes. Only 4 minutes per potato, 3 minutes to rest. Sometimes I use a shorter cooking time, wrap in foil, then finish in the oven or on the grill.

It is also the easiest way to cook rice. Using 1 cup of jasmine rice with 2 cups of water, cook on high for 5 minutes, then 50% for 15 minutes. Let sit for 5 then fluff.

Since that amount of rice is too much for two people, sometimes I half the recipe. However, it's always nice to have leftovers for fried rice or this recipe:

LOW CALORIE RICE CRUST

1+1/2 cup of cooked rice
1 egg
1/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Combine ingredients and press evenly over bottom and sides of 9-inch glass pie plate or quiche dish. It is not necessary to cook before adding filling. However, if you prefer, cook on 70 (roast) 1 minute or until cheese is melted.

This crust works well with quiche. Here is one you might like.

QUICHE LORRAINE

1 Low Calorie Rice Crust
6 slices bacon
3 green onions, thinly sliced
2 cups grated Swiss cheese
1 can (13 oz) evaporated milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
Dash cayenne pepper
1 tsp. prepared mustard
4 eggs beaten

Cook the bacon until crisp and crumble into small pieces. Reserve about 1 T. of bacon and onions for topping. Spread remaining bacon and onions with cheese evenly in pie shell. In a 2-cup measure heat milk on Hi for 3 minutes or until it reaches boiling point. Mix salt, nutmeg, pepper and mustard into beaten eggs. Gradually pour hot milk into egg mixture while continuing to mix. Pour into pie shell and sprinkle reserved bacon and onions over top. Cook on 70 (roast) 12 to 14 minutes, or until center appears barely set. Let stand uncovered on bread board OR heat-proof counter top covered with foil 10 minutes before cutting.

Serves 6

I know it seems ironic to use a low calorie crust for such a high calorie dish, but it does save a few calories.

Re: Sending Out An S.O.S. Mare749 Like you, I don't us...
Thanks all - some good ideas and I'll appreciate any that I can get to play with.

Looks like we'll be having some interesting dishes for a few days.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Sending Out An S.O.S. cjs Thanks all - some go...
Here are a couple.
EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

GRANDMA HILIA'S TILAPIA Servings: 4

Preparation Time: 5 minutes Cooking Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 15 minutes

4 Tilapia fillets
2 TBS. paprika
2 tsps. kosher salt
2 tsps. lemon pepper
1½ tsp. garlic powder
1½ tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
1½ tsp. dried crushed basil
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 cup olive oil

Mix all ingredient together except fish in microwave safe baking dish. Place fish in dish and turn to coat all side. Spoon excess oil over fish. Cover dish and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes.

Recipe Type: Fish and Shellfish, Italian Basil, Main Dish, Tilapia

Author: Grandma Hilia

6 LAYER BARS*****Servings: 8 Yield: One 9 X 13 pan

Can use all butter and regular or low fat grahams.

Preparation Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes

3 oz. Butter
1 oz. coconut oil
10 squares graham cracker (low fat ok) crumbs (about 1 cup)
1 cup chopped nuts
12 oz. semi sweet chocolate chips (mini)
1 cup shredded coconut
14 oz. sweetened condensed milk

In a 9" X 13" Pyrex pan (original was for 7" X 10") melt butter and coconut oil in microwave about 90 seconds until just melted. Grind crackers in mini processor or blender and spread over the butter/oil combination.

Add enough finely chopped nuts (I prefer pecans) until the bottom is covered, pressing down, then enough semi-sweet chips to thoroughly cover the nuts ( I prefer the minis because I better coverage and they melt more easily I think, but use others if I don't have minis) and press again. I use whatever coconut I have on hand sometimes flaked, sometimes shredded and just take chunks and spread evenly over the chocolate until covered and press again. Finally I use the condensed milk.

Bake them in the microwave on high for about 8-10 minutes depending on microwave. I have a turntable, so I don't have to shift the pan, but on a stationary one, I would reposition the pan after 5 minutes to cook evenly. If you like them crispy cook them longer. The condensed milk will continue to cook after taken out of microwave, so if it fully browns in microwave, it will be harder after it cools instead of gooey.

These are always a big hit. I find that by pressing down on each layer, they stay together nicely when you cut them. I have never had these turn out badly and they go very fast whenever I serve them.

Recipe Type: ALINA'S ADAPTATION, Chocolate, Coconut, Cookies, Desserts, Microwave Dish, Pecans

Author: Mine
Source: Chicago Tribune 1976

FINGERLING POTATOES WITH TRUFFLE OIL***** Servings: 2

Can use other herbs. I like fresh tarragon or a sprinkling of Spanish Paprika as well.

Preparation Time: 2 minutes Cooking Time: 8 minutes

15 Fingerling potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled
1 tsp. sea salt
1 TBS. Truffle Oil
1 tsp. Parisien Bonnes Herbes crushed

If purchased in microwave bag, follow directions. If purchased loose, scrub, but do not peel. Place in microwave safe plate and cover tightly with microwave safe plastic wrap. Make a couple of slits in wrap to release steam. Cook on high for 5 minutes. Check doneness and if not done cook 2 minutes longer and check again.

Recipe Type: Potatoes, Side Dish
I will have to look Jean. I use the convection setting on ours more than microwave - but with the steam and simmer settings I use it for rice, pasta, polenta, and farro. I will dig.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Sending Out An S.O.S. Harborwitch I will have to look ...
For us the micro is for reheating leftovers and making popcorn. Oh and boiling water for a cup of tea. Other than that I don't cook it. Never had good luck with cooking meat, and veggies lose their nutrition with microwaved so don't even do those. The only thing I guess you could say I cook are the mug desserts.

Re: Sending Out An S.O.S. DFen911 For us the micro is ...
Actually it is myth that microwaves destroy vegetable nutrition. Because they cook much faster and with less water, microwaved vegetables actually retained more nutrition. It also helps make more antioxidants available. Some vitamins such as C are reduced no matter which cooking method you use.

There has been a lot or research on this from reputable sources. Just check out the Mayo clinic recipes. So feel free to microwave away. I often microwave them first to do a quick cook and then just finish them in the dish or sauce. It preserves more nutrient than longer cooking on the stove or oven. Long cooking, high heat and water are the killer. Nevertheless, I love roasted veggies, but at least they are not cooked in water. And if you start the long cooking ones in the microwave they are exposed less time to the high heat.

Re: Sending Out An S.O.S. Cubangirl Actually it is myth ...
Good to know thanks
Sending Out An S.O.S.