Okay. Finally tried an experiment I've been wanting to do.

Pizza Hut, here, recently had a two-for-one special on large Pan Pizzas. I ordered a pair and saved up the crusts from each slice. Once all the pizza was gone, I made a savoury bread pudding out of it.

WOW! DELICIOUS!

Talk about a way to use leftovers!

Here's my recipe.

Roasted Garlic and Asiago Pizza-Crust Pudding

Ingredients:
  • 4 Heads Garlic
  • Olive oil, as needed
  • 8 Oz. Pizza crusts (I used the crusts from 2 Large Pizza-Hut Pan Pizzas and it weighed 8.8 Oz.)
  • 5 Oz. Asiago cheese, grated
  • 16 Oz. (by weight) Milk (1.86 Cups)
  • 8 Oz. (by weight) Eggs (4 – 5 large)
  • Salt, to taste
  • White pepper, to taste
Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
  2. Slice the top 1/4” off each head of garlic.
  3. Remove any loose skin from the garlic.
  4. Place the heads of garlic onto a sheet of aluminum foil.
  5. Drizzle the garlic with olive oil.
  6. Wrap the foil tightly to seal in the garlic.
  7. Roast the garlic until soft and slightly brown – about 40 minutes.
  8. Allow the garlic to rest until cool enough to handle.
  9. Squeeze the roasted garlic into a large bowl.
  10. Mash the garlic into a paste.
  11. Whisk the milk, eggs, salt and white pepper into the garlic until the mixture is well combined.
  12. Pour over the bread and cheese mixture.
  13. Stir the mixture so that all pieces of the bread are covered with liquid.
  14. Cover the bowl tightly.
  15. Refrigerate overnight.
  16. The next day, preheat the oven to 350F.
  17. Grease a 13” x 9” x 2”-inch baking dish.
  18. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared baking dish.
  19. Bake until golden brown and the custard has set – about 60 minutes.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Roasted-Garlic and Asiago Pizza-Crust Pudding labradors Okay. Finally tried...
That sounds delicious! Gotta give this a try!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Roasted-Garlic and Asiago Pizza-Crust Pudding Gourmet_Mom That sounds deliciou...
It does sound good. Never thought to try something like that, but probably will now.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Roasted-Garlic and Asiago Pizza-Crust Pudding Mare749 It does sound good. ...
Sounds very good - too bad there is NEVER any leftover crusts left here. That is my favorite part!

Re: Roasted-Garlic and Asiago Pizza-Crust Pudding Trixxee Sounds very good - t...
Lol! Trixxee, me too! I never leave a crust uneaten.

Re: Roasted-Garlic and Asiago Pizza-Crust Pudding losblanos1 Lol! Trixxee, me too...
Dang, neither do I!! When I was buying pizza, Roy used to leave his crusts, but now he doesn't either.....

I'll have to figure out something - maybe cut the crust off as I'm slicing it and put it aside. Out of sight, out of mind thing.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Roasted-Garlic and Asiago Pizza-Crust Pudding cjs Dang, neither do I!!...
For me, it depends upon the pizza. Some pizzas' crusts are just too dry and/or flavourless. Most of the time, I do eat the crust, but sometimes, for some pizzas, I just don't feel like it and I know a number of people who NEVER eat the crust, so that's what made me think of the idea. It was kind of one of those Chopped leftover-basket moments.

Anyway, know we know that it isn't necessary to throw out unconsumed crusts, since they CAN successfully be turned into a yummy bread pudding. Of course, since you probably wouldn't want pieces of crust with tooth marks in them, cutting off the crust before serving the pizza to someone who doesn't eat the crust would be the way to go. Then you could just save them up in the freezer until you have enough to make the bread pudding.

It was just an experiment, but it DID turn out well enough that I'd do it again (maybe with some sun-dried tomatoes and basil the next time).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Roasted-Garlic and Asiago Pizza-Crust Pudding