Yesterday I decided that I had to use up some sourdough since it was well fed and happy. Bob had the deep fryer all set up (did he want egg rolls? Buttermilk fried chicken? Hush Puppies? Fish & Chips?) Oh who cared - Doughnuts!

When Bob and Jeff "Bob&Jeff napped" me last summer for a day trip to Leavenworth I picked up this [Image: f3e83929-7b3b-4201-a40e-64c03022da56_zpsff73ef8d.jpg]

The blend is: Fennel pollen, dried ground orange peel, lemon grass powder, cayennne pepper, sour plum powder, star anise, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, ginger, vanilla powder, ground clove, and corriander. All my favorite flavors - but it got put away and - forgotten until yesterday.

Sourdough Doughnuts

1 c. thick happy sourdough
1 egg
1 TBS neutral flavored oil
1 Cup sugar
1/2 tsp soda
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups flour
1 to 1 1/2 tsp Baker's Delight Fennel Pollen baking spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Mix starter, egg, oil, and sugar. Stir together dry ingredients and add to starter mixtuer. Add enough additional flour (as needed) to make a soft dough. Handle as little as possible. Roll or pat out dough and cut out doughnuts, allow to rise while oil heats.

Deep fry doughnuts as usual. If desired mix sugar and 1 tsp of the Fennel Pollen spice mix in a clean paper bag and add doughnuts straight from fryer to bag and shake to coat.

[Image: 0512141045_zpsebb65ce7.jpg]

You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Divine Sourdough Doughnuts Harborwitch Yesterday I decided ...
I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread.......................
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Divine Sourdough Doughnuts cjs I knew I shouldn't h...
Just for you Jean!

Re: Divine Sourdough Doughnuts Harborwitch Just for you Jean! ...
Oh thanks a lot, lady!! Are you making them again at the end of May??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Divine Sourdough Doughnuts cjs Oh thanks a lot, lad...
Sharon, I think you better say yes! LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Divine Sourdough Doughnuts cjs Oh thanks a lot, lad...
That can probably be arranged

Re: Divine Sourdough Doughnuts Harborwitch That can probably be...
Now I wish I had my sourdough starter. Those look and sound beautiful! Wish I had that Smell-o-vision
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
Divine Sourdough Doughnuts