Ran across this sauce recipe yesterday and thought of you and your l/o fish. Denise, the tacos I made with the leftovers were just wonderful. Just an idea for you.

SPICY RUM SAUCE
05/10/05 01:19 PM (66.174.76.205) Edit Reply

Chef Joseph Carey, author of Creole Nouvelle, Contemporary Creole Cookery has graciously given permission for me to post a recipe from his book, that is just wonderful!

SPICY RUM SAUCE

1 med. red bell pepper, diced
1 med. yellow onion, diced
1 or 2 (I used 3) Jalapeno or Serrano peppers, minced
2 tsp. garlic minced
2 c. fresh pineapple, diced
3/4 c. dark rum
3/4 c. dark brown sugar
1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar

In a non-reactive pan bring all ingredients to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer & cook for about 15 min.
Sauce should have thickened and all solids should be soft.

This was served over his Pecan Encrusted Catfish Filets and was a great combination.

And then...I always make enough catfish to have l/os, so the next night, I simmered the Rum sauce till it was almost dry, added chunked up catfish and tossed together (really gently) and served them in fried corn tortillas w/a little hot sauce to top it all off.

This sauce could be used on ice cream, any kind of fish, probably even a toasted muffin - if I had some left, I'd try this - it's that good! (Oh, and they probably would have been very good with the Chile Hush Puppies he recommended serving with the catfish - that will be next time.)
----------------
Shoot, I've promised I won't buy any fish/meat until the freezers are empty!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Leftover Trout/Catfish for Denise cjs Ran across this sauc...
Not a big cat fish fan, but loving trout and steelhead so this is so being saved!

Thank you Jean!
Leftover Trout/Catfish for Denise