What's on the menu for everyone today??

Wasn't someone going to pick a menu from the new book before Blane cooks everything??

Not sure what we're having today. I made 1/2 the recipe of Laur's ramen dish and we still have lots of l/os, so guess I'll just dig up some meat to grill.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Tuesday's Dinner, 6/17/14?? cjs What's on the menu f...
I could pick a recipe if you would like (my b'day is next month).

Tonight I'm making waffles with left over maple-rum sauce and sausage.

Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 6/17/14?? losblanos1 I could pick a recip...
I have a chicken thawing. Not sure yet how it will be prepared. But I am craving shrimp and grits so if anyone has a good recipe please share

Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 6/17/14?? DFen911 I have a chicken tha...
Perfect! Yes, Blane, please!!!

Oh Denise, do I have a Shrimp and Grits dish for you!! Billy and Tracie fought over the leftovers all the way back to Oregon!!!!!

Let me find it. Here it is -

* Exported from MasterCook *

SHRIMP AND GRITS

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup stone-ground grits
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup butter -- (1/2 stick)
2 , cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 pound shrimp -- peeled and deveined, left whole if small and roughly chopped if medium or large
6 slices bacon -- chopped into tiny pieces
4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 cup thinly sliced green onions -- white and green parts
1 large clove garlic -- minced

l. In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add the grits and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well with a whisk. Reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting and cook the grits until all the water is absorbed, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and cheese. Keep covered until ready to serve.

2. Rinse the shrimp and pat dry. Fry the bacon in a large skillet until browned and crisp, then , drain on a paper towel. Add the shrimp to the bacon grease in the skillet and saute over medium heat just until they turn pink, about 3 minutes. Do not overcook! Immediately add the lemon juice, parsley, green onions, and garlic. Remove the skillet from the heat.

3. Pour the grits into a serving bowl. Pour the shrimp mixture over the grits. Garnish with the bacon bits.

4. If you are serving this as an appetizer, spoon 1/4 cup grits onto a bread or salad plate. Top with 1/4 cup of the shrimp mixture. Garnish with a sprinkling of crisp bacon bits and serve immediately.

Description:
"A Paula Deen recipe - serves 8 as an appetizer or 4 as a main course."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : This is the one I made with Billy and Tracie - at the barn.
We are lucky enough to be able to get great tasso out here - I remember I used to order it from New Orleans (in the 90s), so I'm thrilled we can get it here now.
Just looked at the recipe Billy, Tracie & I just loved for Shrimp & Grits and was surprised it's different from yours, Daphne - it's a Paula Deen recipe also. huh.

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 6/17/14?? cjs Perfect! Yes, Blane,...
Dishwasher is finally being fixed today and they are supposed to be here between 3-6, so I guess we'll have to pick something up. What though I have no idea. There is a new bbq take out place that might be worth trying.

Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 6/17/14?? Trixxee Dishwasher is finall...
We're grilling corn and burgers. Fresh strawberries for dessert.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 6/17/14?? Mare749 We're grilling corn ...
My younger son is home tonight and requested Cajun Chicken Alfredo. It's totally delicious, but I don't make it very often...if you look at the recipe, you'll understand why! I am looking forward to indulging, however.

Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 6/17/14?? karyn My younger son is ho...
I was just on the "Issue 106" thread and saw Maryann's suggestion that Maggie choose the B'day dinner. Brilliant! Laura!? What would a twelve year old pick?

Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 6/17/14?? losblanos1 I was just on the "I...
We got home at dinner time, so William ran to town after I called in a pizza order.

And here is my recipe, Denise. We love this! But not on William's diet these days. I need to work on it for him.

Shrimp and Grits

Cook's Note: Tasso is a Cajun ham and is often hard to find outside of Louisiana, but you can find it at some specialty gourmet shops or by mail order. If not, you can substitute salt pork, pancetta, or prosciutto, but you will have to beef up your seasonings, as tasso is very flavorful. I used country ham bits and was satisfied with the results. It may have been a little richer and saltier with the country ham, but I have not tried it with Tasso, so I don't know. I substituted Half and Half for the cream since heavy cream is not readily available here. I have not tried it with cream and suspect it may produce a richer, larger portion of sauce in a shorter period of time, but I was happy with the results with half and half.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup cured ham
3/8 cup leeks diced
3/8 cup onion diced
3/8 cup green pepper diced
1 pound shrimp shelled and deveined
1 1/2 tablespoons wine, white
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 Green onion tops chopped
Creamy Grits

Preparation
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tasso and saute until crisp. Add diced vegetables and saute until onions are translucent. Add shrimp and saute for 30 to 45 seconds, or until pink. Remove from the pan and set aside.

Deglaze the pan with a little white wine. Slowly add the cream and let reduce until thickened. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Serve shrimp and vegetables over grits and pour sauce over all. Garnish with green onion tops.

Creamy Grits

I have used cream and fat free half and half. I also used black pepper at the end in addition to the white pepper. I also used a two to one ratio dairy to grits. ( Used Quaker grits...we don't have local coarse ground here, but am anxious to try.)

Ingredients
3 1/2 cups milk, 1% lowfat plus a little more if they get too thick
1 pinches salt
1 pinches white pepper
1 1/4 cups grits

Preparation
In a saucepan, over medium heat, add the milk and butter. Season with salt and pepper. Bring the liquid to a boil. Whisk in the grits. Stir constantly for 6 minutes or until tender. Grits get thicker as they sit, so more liquid may need to be added. I did not add any, but I did put them in a heated water bath (set covered pot in a skillet with water over low heat). Do not begin the grits until you start the sauce for the shrimp.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 6/17/14?? Gourmet_Mom We got home at dinne...
Thank you Jean and Daphne!!
Tuesday's Dinner, 6/17/14??