I don't like grocery shopping... I made my circuit of 4 stores, planning to get green beans last (it was at the store on my way home from the others). This was to be a side for my family lunch on Saturday and I know that everyone likes green beans. Well, the beans were horrible-- spotted and light-colored and limp. If I spent an hour going through the bin, I wouldn't have been able to find enough good ones.

So I walked down the produce aisle, but couldn't find anything that I knew (almost) all of my guests would like. Then I saw--- carrots. The lowly root veggie. Everyone likes carrots! Well, except my BIL who shuns them because they're too high on the glycemic index. But everyone else likes them!

Because it's a special occasion, I want to do something just a little different and thought of 2 options. I like the flavor of orange with carrots and think that toasted hazelnuts would be a good crunchy topping.

What should I do:
top the cooked carrots with an orange-flavored butter, and sprinkle with nuts

or

toss the cooked carrots with orange juice & zest and browned butter, then top with the hazelnuts

They're similar preparations, but I was wondering if the flavor of the browned butter would overpower the orange.

Suggestions?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com

carrot side- how would you prepare this?| foodfiend I don't like grocery...
You could do a Carrots Lyonnais with match stick carrots or just baby carrots cut in quarters cooked with onions, some chicken broth, a little flour, lots of butter, and some nutmeg or cinnamon, S&P to taste and I used white pepper. I had this recipe from my Mom a long time ago and made it for Thanksgiving for anyone, but I lost the slip of paper I wrote I on.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.

Re: carrot side- how would you prepare this?| BarbaraS You could do a Carro...
Here's another version Sauteed Carrots with Ginger Orange & Scallions . I like the idea of subbing leeks for the scallions. Also Tarragon is wonderful with carrots.
  Re: carrot side- how would you prepare this?| BarbaraS You could do a Carro...
I know this probably won't help much, but I usually just toss with butter and a dollop of orange marmalade. We like it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: carrot side- how would you prepare this?| Mare749 I know this probably...
Did them just recently with lemon and honey with some chives. Very tasty.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: carrot side- how would you prepare this?| Harborwitch Did them just recent...
Well, I won't be much help (and should probably pass on by ) because I don't like carrots, but the idea of brown butter sounds tasty.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: carrot side- how would you prepare this?| cjs Well, I won't be muc...
Thanks everyone! I wanted to do something that would be quick and easy (I am actually thinking about steaming the carrots the day before to just tender, then finishing with the butter/ flavors at the last minute).

This is the first time in 30 years I have hosted a family gathering. They all live 2+ hours away and it was always easier (with kids, etc.) for DH and me to go there. But since this is probably the last Christmas at the farm, they are all trooping down here. There will be lots of confusion, and we'll have to give a tour (the house looks nothing like it did when we moved in), so I'm trying to make the meal easy and memorable but also within the constraints of some of my relatively "picky" family members!

I'm with Jean, carrots don't make it on my radar at all unless they are "in" something, but next to green beans it seems to be the veg that most of my family will eat.

So.... toss those little orange logs with some browned butter and sprinkle with hazelnuts? And (per Maryann) a dollop of orange marmalade?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com

Re: carrot side- how would you prepare this?| foodfiend Thanks everyone! I ...
Will we see some pictures of the farm before you leave?????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: carrot side- how would you prepare this?| cjs Will we see some pic...
Yes, would love to see pictures of the farm.

Vicci, I have also used butter and honey as Sharon mentioned and we like that too.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
carrot side- how would you prepare this?|