What's on the menu for everyone today??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Monday's Dinner, 4/13/15?? cjs What's on the menu f...
I'm going to make homemade mac and cheese - the simplest recipe I can find in the hopes Michael will at least try it - the recipe I grew up with- on the back of the Mueller's elbows box.

I will also pick up an antipasto salad from our favorite pizza place. They make it so good and by the time I buy all the ingredients for it it would cost more than what they charge anyway.

Re: Monday's Dinner, 4/13/15?? Trixxee I'm going to make ho...
I've got Mac n' Cheese on the menu this week.

The DQ Whaler that I made last week was so delicous that I'm making it again tonight.

Re: Monday's Dinner, 4/13/15?? losblanos1 I've got Mac n' Chee...
We are having old-fashioned spaghetti and meatballs tonight. It's the only thing we did not eat on vacation and it sounds good right now.

Trixxee, what kind of cheese does that recipe call for?

I use the one that used to be on the box of Velveeta for years and years. We still like it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Monday's Dinner, 4/13/15?? Mare749 We are having old-fa...
Maryann - here is the recipe - super plain. It calls for American or cheddar. I'm going to use 1/2 english cheddar and half longhorn colby cheddar.

http://www.muellerspasta.com/recipes/bak...and-cheese

I'll have to check out the Velveeta recipe at the store today. I bet it's good.

Re: Monday's Dinner, 4/13/15?? Trixxee Maryann - here is th...
My favorite mac & cheese recipe is Martha Stewart's Perfect Macaroni and Cheese. I use gruyere, and it is totally amazing comfort food.

Tonight we had a stir fry with chicken, bell pepper, pecans, and black bean garlic sauce. It's an old favorite that John craves on a regular basis.

Re: Monday's Dinner, 4/13/15?? karyn My favorite mac & ch...
Thanks, Trixxee, and I like the combination of cheese that you mentioned. I need to mix it up a bit.

Karyn, thanks for posting your recipe. Another must try. We just love mac and cheese!

The Velveeta recipe that I use goes back many years and I noticed that they have some newer versions now. So, here is the one that I have used since my girls were small. We love it, but I'm ready for a more grown up version.

Down-Home Macaroni and Cheese

1/4 cup butter, divided
1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
1/2 lb. (8 oz.) VELVEETA, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked
1/2 cup KRAFT Shredded Cheddar Cheese
6 RITZ Crackers, crushed (about 1/4 cup)
make it
HEAT oven to 350°F.

MELT 3 Tbsp. butter in medium saucepan on medium heat. Whisk in flour; cook 2 min., stirring constantly. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to boil; cook and stir 3 to 5 min. or until thickened. Add VELVEETA; cook 3 min. or until melted, stirring frequently. Stir in macaroni.

SPOON into 2-qt. casserole sprayed with cooking spray; sprinkle with cheddar. Melt remaining butter; toss with cracker crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole.

BAKE 20 min. or until heated through.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Monday's Dinner, 4/13/15?? Mare749 Thanks, Trixxee, and...
Jane is back in SC with her 82 year old sister She has had a none malignant tumor removed from pressing against the frontal lobe. Doing ok , but no one can make her eat or excercis but my Jane. She is doing her duty. I picked up a soup bone this afternoon and cleaned out the fridge, a leek, Parmasagn rinds, pancetta , frozen tomatoes from last summer, fresh onions, carrots, celery, corn, baby limas, garlic. Cooked out the marrow added saltines, OMG it was delicious and not a lot of trouble. Things are getting better. I will stay in touch, it has just been busy. Love to all.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".

Re: Monday's Dinner, 4/13/15?? Old Bay Jane is back in SC w...
'Bout time you checked in, Mister!! Good to hear from you, but so sorry to hear about Jane's sis. Take care of yourself.

Speaking of Mac & Cheese - another 2 to think about are my 2 favorites -

Mom’s Macaroni & Cheese - from a Chef's Journey...Home

6 T. butter
6 T. flour
3 cups milk
1/2 tsp. salt
Dash of white pepper
1 lb. Velveeta cheese
16 oz. elbow macaroni
2 T. butter, cold
1/2 cup crushed saltines

Preheat oven to 350°F.

For the sauce: Melt the 6 T. of butter in a large pan over medium-low heat. Add the 6 T. of flour and blend together, whisking constantly for 2 minutes. Add the milk and continue whisking until the sauce thickens and is very smooth. Add the salt and pepper.

At this point, start adding chunks (about 1” squares) of the Velveeta cheese, a little at a time, incorporating all before adding more cheese. The one pound of cheese called for is arbitrary ~ after about 8-10 oz. begin tasting and if it’s cheesy enough for you, stop adding. We love ours very cheesy so we add the entire pound! When all the cheese is melted and blended in, remove from heat.

Cook the macaroni according to pkg. directions; drain. If the pan you made your cheese sauce in is big enough, add the macaroni to that pot, if not combine the sauce and pasta in a large bowl.

Butter the bottom and sides of a 9X13” baking dish; pour in the mac and cheese; sprinkle with the crushed soda crackers and top with slivers of the
2 T. cold butter.

Bake for 1 hour or until bubbly and top is nicely browning. Let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving.

CJ’s tip: For a taste treat that is so good, bake a ham (see the recipe on page 103.) to have with the Mac & Cheese and drizzle some of the maple syrup/orange juice glaze over.

And this one –

* Exported from MasterCook *

CJ/KELLY'S THREE CHEESE MAC & CHEESE

1/4 cup +2 T. a.p. flour
3 cup milk
1 tbsp DIJON mustard
2 Tbsps butter
6 ozs White Cheddar Cheese
6 ozs gruyere cheese
1/8 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
Salt & Pepper
9 ozs Penne or short tubular pasta
3 ozs Parmesan cheese
Panko to mix w/Parmesan to top dish.

Combine flour, 1 cup milk & Dijon, stirring till smooth.
Melt butter in a large heavy saucepan over med. heat.
Add flour mix. to butter; cook, stirring constantly w/a wire whisk, 1 min.

Gradually add remaining 2 cups milk, stirring constantly.
Cook, stirring often 10-15 min. or till thickened & bubbly. Remove from heat.

Add the cheddar, Gruyere, nutmeg & s&p to milk mix., stirring till cheese melts.
Stir in Pasta.

Spoon mixture into baking dish, top w/Parmesan/Panko mixture.
Bake 400° for 15 to 20 min.
Let set up for 5-8 min. cut in squares.

Serving Ideas : The way Kelly served:
Topped with pc of Roasted Salmon topped with BBQ sauce & Saffron & Basil oil drizzle.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Monday's Dinner, 4/13/15?? cjs 'Bout time you check...
For a truly decadent version of Mac and Cheese, you may want to check this one out. Fancy Macaroni and Cheese
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Monday's Dinner, 4/13/15??