This is the final version I've been making and we just love it! I think I have one more very small container in the bowels of my trailer freezer!!

Lab’s version of Banana Ketchup – 1/2 X Recipe*****

Here's the Filipino recipe from which I made some, yesterday, and it is awesome, with plenty of kick, but I've never had the real thing to have a basis for comparison. I have converted the units from metric to U.S. and translated the words for a couple of the ingredients into English. Since the recipe had been geared toward commercial production, I have left out the preservative and colourings. Also, not sure what the final quantity would be, I only made half of the following batch, though now I wish I had made the full batch.

1.3 lbs (about 3) Ripe bananas, peeled
1 cups Vinegar
1.3 lbs Water – use equal weight of water to bananas
2 3/4 Tbs Salt
1 1/8 lb Brown sugar
1/2 Large Red bell pepper
1 1/2 Bird chiles jalapenos with seeds and membrane
1/2 Onion, chopped
1/2 Head Garlic, peeled and minced
pinch of each: Ground clove, Paprika, Ground Cinnamon

1. Purée the bananas with water, bell pepper, bird chiles, onions and garlic.

2. Pour the mixture into a Dutch oven or stock pot.

3. Add the remaining ingredients.

4. Cook until thick.

5. Place in bottles while hot and seal tightly.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Lab's Banana Ketchup, Maryann cjs This is the final ve...
Thank you Jean, and thank you Labs for posting it!
Good stuff!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Lab's Banana Ketchup, Maryann Mare749 Thank you Jean, and ...
Haven't made that here, in the States, yet. Still have a little of the bottled, Filipino one (Jufran) that I purchased in a local Asian store. Should probably make some of the above recipe before the bottled stuff is gone, so I can compare the two.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Lab's Banana Ketchup, Maryann labradors Haven't made that he...
Hope you do - we love this!! When we're settled I always have this and Smoked ketchup - both on hand.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Lab's Banana Ketchup, Maryann