Every so often I get so tired of my standby dressing recipes and I go looking. Found a very good one the other day.
SALAD DRESSING - Japanese Onion, Ginger and Carrot Salad Dressing*****

Japanese salad dressings are unique in that they often involve a puree of vegetables and other ingredients to create a fresh and extremely flavorful dressing. They are referred to as "wafu dressing", which literally translates to "Japanese style dressing".

1/4 cup yellow onion
1/4 cup carrot (about 1 small carrot)
1/2 tsp ginger, minced
2 Tbs ketchup or tomato paste
1 Tbs soy sauce
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 rice vinegar
1/2 tsp salt, to taste
Black pepper, dash (optional)
1/2 tsp granulated white sugar (optional)

1. Rough chop yellow onion and carrots and add to food processor. Note: A blender may also be used.

2. Peel ginger and mince; add to food processor.

3. Add ketchup (or tomato paste), soy sauce, canola oil, rice vinegar, and salt to the food processor and pulse or blend until the mixture is pureed and smooth. Taste the dressing, and if desired, add a dash of black pepper and a touch of white sugar.

4. For best results, chill the dressing for a 1 to 2 hours before serving. The dressing may also be used as a marinade.

Yield: 1 cup

Source
Author: By Judy Ung - Japanese Food Expert - ABOUTFOOD.COM

Author Notes
Two popular bases for homemade Japanese salad dressing include a soy sauce based dressing and a tomato paste based dressing. Soy sauce based salad dressings tend to feel lighter versus tomato paste based dressings, as the latter tends to naturally thicken the dressing and add a layer of richness that is otherwise lacking with soy sauce based dressings.

The recipe for this Japanese onion, ginger and carrot salad dressing is tomato based, but instead of tomato paste, I've substituted it with ketchup. If you've got tomato paste in your pantry, by all means try giving the paste a try too, and see which you prefer. I find that the tomato paste has a bit more acid, resulting in a dressing with more tartness.

The main ingredients for the salad dressing include three vegetables, yellow onion, ginger and carrots. These vegetables are pureed in a food processor (or blender) until smooth, and mixed with soy sauce, rice vinegar, ketchup and oil. I recommend using an oil with mild flavor such as canola, vegetable, or coconut oil, but feel free to experiment with your favorites. Finish the dressing off with a touch of salt and pepper and you've got a quick and very fresh salad dressing bursting with flavor.

The pureed raw onion adds a nice spiciness to this salad dressing but is mellowed by the flavors of the carrots and ginger. It tastes best when chilled first.

This dressing may also be used as a marinade on meats or fish.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Salad Dressing Review cjs Every so often I get...
Thanks for this Jean. I've always wanted to recreate the type of salad dressing that you can get in asian restaurants.

Re: Salad Dressing Review Trixxee Thanks for this Jean...
You're welcome - the dressing surprised me given that I'm not real crazy about carrots. But I do like this one.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Salad Dressing Review cjs You're welcome - the...
This does sound good, Jean. We'll have to give it a try. It sounds very much like one I've had in an Asian restaurant.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Salad Dressing Review Gourmet_Mom This does sound good...
welcome
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Salad Dressing Review cjs welcome...
This sounds like something we would love. Can't wait to try this. Thanks, Jean!!!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Salad Dressing Review Mare749 This sounds like som...
Trixxee is trying it today - anxious to hear how they like it.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Salad Dressing Review cjs Trixxee is trying it...
We loved it. I used less oil because that's what I always do, and I also added another splash of soy sauce. We were licking our plates!

Re: Salad Dressing Review Trixxee We loved it. I used...
Good to hear!
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Salad Dressing Review cjs Good to hear! [img]/...
The Thug Cookbook has a great carrot dressing. It's thick, so I make sure to use my ninja blender to really, really mix and blend it well. I just put it on a simple salad with red onions.

3 medium carrots
1 tso olive oil
1/4 tsp ground cumin
pinch of salt
1/3 c white wine vinegar**
1/4 c water
2 Tbs orange juice
2 Tbs olive oil

Heat oven to 375. Peel and chop carrots to 1/2" pieces. Toss in 1 tsp olive oil, cumin and salt. Roast them in small pan, covered until the carrots are tender - 30-40 min.

Let carrots cool then add to food processor or blender with the remaining ingredients and blend till smooth.

**Rice Vinegar works well too.
Salad Dressing Review