What's on the menu for everyone today??

Pizza here!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Saturday's Dinner, 3/26/16?? cjs What's on the menu f...
Baking day for me, so will be leaving dinner up to Ron to decide. Going out sounds nice.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Saturday's Diner, 3/26/16?? Mare749 Baking day for me, s...
I think dinner out would be sweet since you have so much going on to get ready for tomorrow.

We are setting up the deck garden today. Hoping to beat the rain moving in! So I wanted something fast and easy. We are going try out the Sesame Chicken Lo Mien from Issue 107.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Saturday's Diner, 3/26/16?? Gourmet_Mom I think dinner out w...
From one of the Cuisine Lite cook books, Carylann is making peppered filets with potato confit and asparagus.
  Re: Saturday's Diner, 3/26/16?? Gourmet_Mom I think dinner out w...
I'm doing a prime rib sous vide. Meanwhile, I'll roast some garlic and make a paste of that with some fresh thyme and rosemary to rub on the roast when it's done. Then I'll pop it in the oven at 450 degrees for about 15 minutes to finish it. Having scalloped potatoes on the side.

Daphne, I made a North Carolina Lemon Pie for dessert yesterday. Have you ever had/made one? The crust is made out of saltine crackers and it smelled wonderful while baking!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.

Re: Saturday's Diner, 3/26/16?? BarbaraS I'm doing a prime ri...
North Carolina Lemon Pie

Recipe please!!!

Boy, it smells so good in here - ham with o.j./maple syrup glaze is roasting (been so long!!) Macaroni salad done. Ready to prep the baked beans, then more soda bread - I'm really enjoying having breakfast toast out of this!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Saturday's Dinner, 3/26/16?? cjs North Carolina Lemon...
Okay!

North Carolina Lemon Pie

Makes one 9-inch pie

You will need about 53 saltines, roughly one-and-a-half sleeves, to equal 6 ounces.

Ingredients

Crust

6 ounces saltines
1/8 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup light corn syrup

Filling

1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
4 large egg yolks
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest plus 1/2 cup juice (3 lemons)
1/8 teaspoon salt

Topping

1/2 cup heavy cream, chilled
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions

1. FOR THE CRUST: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine saltines and salt in food processor and pulse to coarse crumbs, about 15 pulses. Add melted butter and corn syrup and pulse until crumbs are broken down into oatmeal-size pieces, about 15 pulses.

2. Transfer saltine mixture to greased 9-inch pie plate. Using bottom of dry measuring cup, press crumbs into even layer on bottom and sides of plate, using your hand to keep crumbs from spilling over plate edge. Place plate on baking sheet and bake until light golden brown and fragrant, 17 to 19 minutes.

3. FOR THE FILLING: Whisk condensed milk, egg yolks, cream, lemon zest, and salt in bowl until fully combined. Whisk in lemon juice until fully incorporated.

4. With pie plate still on sheet, pour filling into crust (crust needn’t be cool). Bake pie until edges are beginning to set but center still jiggles when shaken, 15 to 17 minutes. Place pie on wire rack and let cool completely. Refrigerate pie until fully chilled, about 4 hours.

5. FOR THE TOPPING: Using stand mixer fitted with whisk, whip cream, sugar, and vanilla on medium-low speed until foamy, about 1 minute. Increase speed to high and whip until stiff peaks form, 1 to 3 minutes. Spread whipped cream over top of pie. Serve.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.

Re: Saturday's Dinner, 3/26/16?? BarbaraS Okay![br][br]North C...
darn, if I had saltines I'd make this NOW! Thanks Barbara
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Saturday's Dinner, 3/26/16?? cjs Damn, if I had salti...
It was so easy to make Jean. I also sprinkled a little Kosher salt on the top. Read that somewhere else when researching this recipe.

Barbara

Re: Saturday's Dinner, 3/26/16?? BarbaraS It was so easy to ma...
Here I go again with pushing off dinners - tonight it's the breaded chicken with basil cream sauce I've said I was going to make for three nights now. I have already breaded the chicken so it is happening.

For those of you who like horse racing, just want to announce that California Chrome (yes, he's still racing!) won the world's richest race today - Dubai World Cup. Chromies are on Cloud Nine! He now has won more money than any US horse in history.

https://www.facebook.com/112006418869679...nref=story
Saturday's Dinner, 3/26/16??