Does anyone have that recipe? It's from CAH Aug '04. I thought I'd torn out the recipe, but I only got the ingredients, not the directions. That's a good reason NOT to tear recipes out of a magazine and throw the rest away
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Tres Leches Cake w/Summer Fruit bjcotton Does anyone have tha...
Quote:

That's a good reason NOT to tear recipes out of a magazine and throw the rest away

Ouch! Throwing away a C@H magazine? I feel faint!

Tres Leches Cake with Summer Fruit

Makes one 9” cake
Total Time: 1 ½ hours

FOR THE CAKE-----
Beat:
6 eggs
1 cup sugar

Add:
1 t. vanilla extract

Sift together; fold in:
1 cup all purpose flour
½ t. table salt

Combine; fold in;
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1 cup cake batter

FHE SOAKING SYRUP----
Combine; reduce:
1 can (14 oz.) evaporated milk
1 can (12 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup whole milk
½ cup light rum

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9 x 3” springform pan with nonstick spray.

Beat eggs and sugar with hand mixer at high speed in a large bowl set over a pot of barely simmering water. Bear until the eggs are pale, thick, and tripled in volume, about 10 minutes.

Add vanilla; remove bowl from the hat and cont8inute to beat until cool, about 5 more minutes.

Sift flour and salt. Sprinkle 1/3 of the flour mixture into the egg mixture; fold gently. Fold in remaining flour in two additions.

Combine melted butter and 1 cup batter in small bowl. When blended, add the mixture back to the remaining batter and gently fold to blend.

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

Combine all milks and rum in a measuring cup with a put spout while the cake bakes. Transfer half of the milk mixture (2 cups) to a saucepan, bring to a simmer, and cook until reduces to 1 cup, about 15 minutes. Stir mixture constantly to prevent scorching.

Stir reduced milk into remaining 2 cups milk mixture (for a total of 3 cups). Set milk syrup aside.

After cooling the cake 10 minutes, place it on a baking sheet (to catch drips from the milk), then poke holes in it with a skewer.

Rewarm milk mixture, if necessary, then pour it over the cake, allowing it to soak in before adding more. Use all the milk, even though it won’t seem like the cake will absorb it. Drape wax paper over the cake (plastic wrap causes condensation) and chill.

FOR THE TOPPING----
Combine:
4 cups mixed summer fruit
¼ cup sugar

Whip:
1 ½ cups heavy cream
3 T. sugar

Combine fruit and ¼ cup sugar; macerate for about 30 minutes.
Whip cream and 3 T. sugar together in a bowl until soft peaks form. When ready to serve cake, remove sides of pan, then top with fruit. Slice cake and serve with whipped cream.

Combine the fruit and sugar in a large bowl. It only needs to macerate for about 30 minutes. Longer than that and the fruit will start to turn mushy, losing its fresh look.

Chilling:
This cake tastes best ice cold so chill it overnight, if possible (this allows for maximum saturation). A minimum of four hours chilling is okay.

Just before serving, top the cake with the fruit using a slotted spoon---that way, most of the juice stays in the bowl and doesn’t make the cake overly soggy. If you’d like, drizzle fruit juices over the cake and whipped cream for a little color.
Tammy

Re: Tres Leches Cake w/Summer Fruit TwilightKitten [blockquote]Quote:[h...
Thank you ever-so-much Tammy. Jean and I had talked about this kind of cake in the past and I so wanted to make sure she knew about this recipe. I'll see if I can post a picture of it for her.

I tried, but the "image" function doesn't work, so no joy. Sorry.

Billy

Re: Tres Leches Cake w/Summer Fruit bjcotton Thank you ever-so-mu...
My word, that does sound so good!! BillyJ, we'll be thru Meatball the 15th of May - we could meet in a parking lot and do lots of damage to a cake like this in a fast hurry!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Tres Leches Cake w/Summer Fruit cjs My word, that does s...
I'll just have to make a note to myself and see if I can't get one prepared

Billy

Re: Tres Leches Cake w/Summer Fruit bjcotton I'll just have to ma...
Hello,

We had a long post earlier about this cake. THis is probably our favorite recipe in CAH. Incredibly delicious cake.

Re: Tres Leches Cake w/Summer Fruit piano226 Hello,[br][br]We had...
That means I'll HAVE to make one Piano. I enjoy making cakes. I have a cake recipe from Maida Heatter I'll have to post. I've only made it a million times (well, maybe half a million), Jean's had it before. It's really, really good.

Billy

Re: Tres Leches Cake w/Summer Fruit bjcotton That means I'll HAVE...
Okay now I've got to make this one too! I'm gonna gain all that weight back! Thank you sweetie this sounds divine!!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Tres Leches Cake w/Summer Fruit Harborwitch Okay now I've got to...
I'll email you the picture Sharon. It looks wonderful.

Billy
Tres Leches Cake w/Summer Fruit