I talked Ashley into the Saigon Special last Monday and she thought she was getting something like this. Since she started talking about it, I can't stop thinking about it.

Anybody have a tried and true recipe?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

ISO A Nice Asian Noodle Bowl with Rich Broth Gourmet_Mom I talked Ashley into...
Daphne, I've tried to make the broth for pho a few times but it's never the same as when we go out for it. Whatever they do is magical.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  ISO A Nice Asian Noodle Bowl with Rich Broth Gourmet_Mom I talked Ashley into...
Oh Daphne, do I have a little book for you!!!
Bowl Food

And, looking on Amazon for the info - it's on sale for $ .01!!!!!! It's the neatest book. I've had it for 12 years and made so many of the recipes. Not just Asian but one bowl dishes from around the globe.

I have not tried one you're specifically looking for, but here is one that I do like -
Pork and Glass Noodle Soup

5 oz. cellophane noodles
2 tsp. peanut oil
2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
5 cups chicken stock
1/3 cup Chinese rice wine
1 T. hoisin sauce
1 T. soy sauce
4 scallions, thinly sliced diagonally, plus extra to garnish
10 oz. sliced Chinese roast pork

Soak the noodles in a large bowl with enough boiling water to cover for 3-4 minutes. Drain

Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the ginger and stir-fry for 1 min. Add the stock, rice wine, hoisin and soy sauces, and simmer for 10 minutes.Add the scallions and roast pork, then cook for another 5 minutes.

Divide the noodles among 4 large owls. Ladle in the soup and arrange the pork on top. Garnish with extra scallion slices.

Note: this is the kind of dish to pick up Chinese roasted pork at a restaurant (or even our Safeway carries it in the deli) instead of making it myself for a quicky dinner.

Let me see what else I have.....

Piddle - now you have me on a mission!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: ISO A Nice Asian Noodle Bowl with Rich Broth cjs Oh Daphne, do I have...
Found my Time Life Series books in the 'storage' and even tho I've not made this - I would never hesitate to recommend a recipe from this entire series, Daphne.

Plus, I think I'm going to make this sometime this week.
[Image: Asian%20Soup%201_zpsjsskx019.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: ISO A Nice Asian Noodle Bowl with Rich Broth cjs Found my Time Life S...
Daphne, here is a simple recipe from Nigella that is very good when you are craving something with an Asian flair. I do not use udon noodles because I don't care for them, but do use Chinese noodles from the Asian market.

Noodle Soup for Needy People

6 oz udon noodles (dried, from a packet)
3 cups chicken or vegetable or dashi broth
1 tsp brown sugar
1 star anise
1 tsp minced ginger
2 Tbs soy sauce
3/4 cup bean sprouts
3/4 cup sugar snaps
3/4 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
2 heads baby bok choy, finely sliced
2 Tbs freshly chopped cilantro leaves

1. Cook the noodles according to packet instructions and while the water is boiling fill a nearby saucepan with stock, brown sugar, star anise, ginger and soy sauce. (When the noodles are done, just drain them and put half in each bowl.)

2. When the flavored stock comes to a boil, add the vegetables. They should be cooked before 2 minutes are up.

3. Pour half into each bowl, over the cooked and drained noodles and sprinkle with cilantro.

Servings: 2

Author: Nigella Lawson
--------------------------------

Another recipe that I have used and thought was pretty good is one from Cuisine, issue no. 61, page 30, for Chicken Pho.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: ISO A Nice Asian Noodle Bowl with Rich Broth Mare749 Daphne, here is a si...
Thanks, you guys! I'll be trying some of these soon. And I will surely pass them on to Ashley.

Maryann, I've seen you post this soup before, but I never noticed it had an Asian flare.

Jean, I'll be ordering that book this week. Looked at the index and saw lots of things I would try. Given my love of Italian and now Asian food, that should not come as a surprise. BTW, didn't you do an Asian long noodle soup early last spring that we discussed? I'm off to look in my notes. If you find it before I do, let me know.
Daphne

Re: ISO A Nice Asian Noodle Bowl with Rich Broth Gourmet_Mom Thanks, you guys! I...
Let me know when you get the book, Daphne - there are some real winners!
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: ISO A Nice Asian Noodle Bowl with Rich Broth cjs Let me know when you...
Will do! Just pulled the trigger and it should be on its way soon.

BTW, I didn't find the Long Noodle Soup we talked about a while back. Let me know if you find it.
Daphne

Re: ISO A Nice Asian Noodle Bowl with Rich Broth Gourmet_Mom Will do! Just pulle...
I've been at the wine during the game, so will look at this tomorrow a.m.

Have a good ( and easy ) week!
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: ISO A Nice Asian Noodle Bowl with Rich Broth cjs I've been at the win...
Thanks, Jean!
Daphne
ISO A Nice Asian Noodle Bowl with Rich Broth