I apologize if there is already a thread on this. I'm finding new style harder to use. Please feel free to move this.

I'm just so happy with my pots I wanted to share again. Yesterday I made 1 lb. of unsoaked Cuban black beans in my 6 qt. Used 1 lb. Black Beans, a package of TJ's fresh diced onions, 6 cloves of Costco peeled garlic (I foodsavered most and put the rest in a jar with the metal closure and rubber gasket in the freezer and pull out the number I need when I start cooking. They don't stick together), 2/3 of a giant frozen green bell, bay leaves, olive oil, salt and oregano into the pot with 4.5 cups water. They were perfect after 25 minutes on the bean cycle. I let them NPR.

While the beans were cooking, I put 3 cups of Mahatma extra long white rice in the 8 qt. Rinsed well and added 3 cups of water, approx. 2 TBS. of liquid coconut oil and 1 TBS. refrigerated bacon fat, salt and stirred. I used the rice setting and let if NPR. I took less than 1 hour including coming to pressure and releasing for both. In the fridge for both, the beans get better and the rice might be healthier. FWIW, I reheat them by microwaving them on a Pyrex pie plate with another over the top, about 2-3 minutes right out of the fridge. Even better the next day.

I am also loving my homemade Greek yogurt. I've been using it on everything, as sour cream on burritos and with granola and fresh blueberries for breakfast or dessert.

Instant Pot - II Cubangirl I apologize if there...
Evidently the Instant Pot thread has been found, but I'm so disgusted with the whole forum right now, I'm going to go have a glass of wine. I'll come back in the morning and read this. Sad Tongue
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Thanks for the method for black beans. I love having them in the freezer after seasoning them the way I like and not buying canned anymore. I'll have to try this. Haven't done much with the IP yet, but now that winter is closing in, I probably will.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

RE: Instant Pot cjs Thanks for the metho...
The black beans sound delicious. Do they get mushy when you freeze them? That happens when I freeze chili made with kidney beans. They are still good, but definitely softer.

Jean, I hope you start using your instant pot. I use mine more all the time. Love it!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

RE: Instant Pot Mare749 The black beans soun...
IMHO Cuban black beans are even better after being frozen. My mom always had some in her freezer. Mine are still whole beans when they are done, but are not hard at all. You could smash them with just your tongue (no teeth). I don't ever use my black beans as soup, always over rice or inside burritos or in salad. For mainly eating over rice, I thicken the liquid by smashing about a quarter cup of the beans and mix them in. The end product is closer to Boston Baked Beans than to Mexican beans if that helps.

My meaty Baked beans (think gourmet Boston pork and beans) is going to be my next IP project. They also freeze beautifully. In search of a boneless smoked picnic shoulder, very hard to  find here. Well that and Orange Swirl Cheesecake.

Jean, feel free to move this into the other thread if you wish.
mine don't seem to get mushy, but I pull off the heat when they are still a little al dente - because I never know how I'll use them.
www.achefsjourney.com
Alina, the way things are going for me on this new forum, I think not!! I'll leave well enough alone.

Being able to use the liquid which the beans are cooked in is the best thing about cooking our own, I think. Canned ones I always drained and rinsed to get rid of some of the sodium. But, no problem now - I can use all that black liquid 'gold' Smile I use black beans in so many dishes - as evidenced by my book, "Black Beans and Corn" for heaven's sake. We love them
www.achefsjourney.com
Looks like Allina really uses her IP quite a lot. I may have to get one of these. I had the one on the infomercial for about a week and it malfunctioned, ruined dinner, I returned it to Amazon. Now I might get this one??
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
What I've been saying: Why Anything Slow Cookers Can Do, Others Can Do Better
Hi, I want to share my latest creation. I made a Spanish rubbed pork tenderloin with pears and mushrooms. It has been a long time since I felt the urge to be creative and I am so pleased it turned out wonderfully.  I had some cremini mushrooms that needed to be used, so I washed them, dried them well with paper towels and put them in the IP on Saute high, after I preheated it and added garlic olive oil with a pinch of kosher salt. While they were cooking, I made a Spanish rub of ground cumin, ground coriander, Spanish smoked paprika (all Penzeys), salt and Grains of Paradise and rubbed it all over the trimmed tenderloin. (It was one package of Costco's, 2 halves each cut in half, about 5 lbs.) I then turned the Saute to low, added a package of diced TJ's diced onions, another pinch of salt, a couple of shakes of sumac and several of granulated garlic, stirred and walked away to let cook while the tenderloin dry brined (I wanted to give it 1/2 hour with the rub) . After it beeped (the default time for saute is 30 minutes), I turned Saute back on to high, took the mushroom/onions and put them in a bowl and put the four tenderloin pieces in the IP to sear on all sides (they fit so nicely in the 8 qt.). I put the pork in the bowl and deglazed the pot with 1/2 cup of ruby Port. the all back in, added 1/2 cup ketchup mixed with 3/4 cup water and a splash of Bragg's amino, and stirred. I then added 2 peeled and cored large D'Anjou pears, stirred again put the lid on, closed the vent and set the IP on manual high pressure for 25 minutes. After it released pressure on its own, I cut the pork in the pot into chunks, stirred and put it back on Saute high for 10 minutes to let the liquid reduce some.

Steve said it was great, fantastic flavors. My favorite part were the mushrooms. I will do it again, but doing the pork rub first so it brines while I prepare the mushrooms, adding a third pear and maybe a couple of peeled quartered russets. I will also cut the water to no more than 1/2 cup so I don't need to reduce. The pork was so tender and juicy, semi shredded itself when stirred and there was no fat. The only other time I've had pork tenderloin so juicy and tender was when I did it sous vide.
Instant Pot - II